Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Jun 30, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

what is the difference between a dodge 60 and a gm 60 front?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

***I think*** the pumpkin is over a little bit more to one side than ours are,therefore wont work for your application in a blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the dodge d60 works great in the chevy trucks, the spring spacing is .5" difference, can't remember which way. some just move the the 1/4" each side and bolt it in, you can buy special bushings to move the springs.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I couldnt have been anymore *WRONG WRONG WRONG**then i guess,oh whell. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifi tried.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Spring perches are half inch wider from center to center than chevy's. Spring perches are 2.5" wide as opposed to chevy's 3". WMS to WMS is 2" narrower than chevy. Most of the dodge models used external lockouts where as Chevy if I'm not mistaken always use internal. Brake rotors I believe are slightly thinner on the Dodge compared to Chevy.

They will fit into a chevy product. Lots of people just push the springs out a little and run em. They are closer to the rear WMS to WMS than a chevy so it kinda straightens out the offset. Just to the narrow side.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have one. There a few items that need to be switched or modified but it is not hard or more involved than the axle swap itself.

Steering arm - stock dodge ones will not work, get GM or get x-over
    Pinion yoke - get a GM yoke (1310 or 1350) or a conversion joint
    Brake lines - remove dodge central drop unit and put on normal GM lines or modify GM lines for a central drop unit
    Spring perch - spread springs, or modify GM bushing or call AZ kickin
    Wheel studs - dodge is 1/2" replace with regular GM D60 studs 9/16"

For my swap I used x-over (after a failed custom GM to dodge drag link) , a GM 1310 yoke (match my front d-shaft), stainless steel 10B brake lines (what were on the truck before the 60), modified bushings (trim off a 1/4" on the outter side of the front spring bushing put in 1/4" spacer on inside of bushing, put in 1/4" spacers on shackles) and new 9/16" studs.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

umm... what does a dodge d60 go for? And is it somthing you can find at the junkyard?

justin

thanks

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

You *can* find them at the JY. However, I think they are probably rarer than GM 60s if anything. Not as in more desireable, just harder to find because less were made. Also , everyone and their brother knows to look under a K30 to get a d60, but hardly anyone knows to look under a late 70's 3/4 ton dodge with the snowplow package.

[brag] The funny thing is, I bought a dodge 60 from a junkyard for $150. [/brag].
    It was buried in junk and had been for a long time (really rusty, some moss, etc). It had a companion rear d60 that had "1978 dodge w200" written on it. When I decoded the BOM, it came up as a dodge 600/700, which i think is an error for a couple reasons...dodge medium trucks didnt use an 8 lug pattern like the pickups, and i'm guessing the medium trucks didnt come in fulltime 4wd models (my axle has external drive flanges). so i actually think whoever wrote that on the rear d60 however long ago was right. anyway, the only locking hubs available for this axle are MM classic hubs, which I haven't really heard good things about. I can convert to GM SRW outers, but parts are $$$ and all the dually guys want to do this too, so I probably coulnt find used parts for cheap. Also the axle has neckdown shafts which are weak, but there are newer shafts that are a direct replacement. Other than that, (and the size differences mentioned above), they are the same.

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering cuz my friend has a 78 powerwagon with 60s under it and he might get rid of it cuz it just sits at a lot, and he sed i can take the axles if i want them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif