Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 $$$

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen86, Nov 13, 2004.

1. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

Whats It cost to put a Dana 60 in a blazer?
    Rebuilt?
    New?
    And how hard is it?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Basicly a bolt in. Costs will very depend on where you're located, avalibilty of the D60 in your area, condition, ...ect.

3. blazen86

Anybody ever bought one from Boyce?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

expect to pay around $2000 when all is said and done. I got my D60 for $900 or so (it and a ff14 were $1000 together) but by the time i regeared and rebuilt and all that jazz it was significantly more than that. Just givin' ya a heads up, cause some people have this idea that if they can "just save up $1000!" they'll be rolling with a kick ass D60 under their rig and thats usually not the case. Sure, there is always the yahoo who gets "the hookup" and brags how he got a built 60 for $500... but in general its gonna cost ya 15 more bills than that.

j

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

if hees looking at boyce then he is expecting to pay more then 20 bills. If you have the money boyce is great, if you have even more money dynatrac is hardcore.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just get one and build it. $400 for crossover, $300 for gears/install parts, $500 for detroit, $100 to rebuild the kingpins, wheel bearings, brakes, and youre good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'd say that $2k looks cheap when you start adding those numbers up above. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I personally would rather build it, you will know how each peice works and goes together /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My first one cost me around $760 to get under the truck. That one had 4:56's, Trac Lok, and Warn Hubs. On the second K5 which I have now I have about $1300 in it, totally rebuilt, 4:10's, Powerlock, and Warn Premiums.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Here is a cut and paste of a post I made on my club board when I built mine.It wasnt cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Complete 88 Dana 60-$1200

Complete ORD crossover/high steer setup (arms,tie rod,drag link,all the TREs,stud kits for both knuckles) and a 2wd box-$700

2,5-806x u joints-$80

3,Ubolts-$22

Superlift 1104 pitman arm-$60

Dana 60 ARB- $640

Dana 60 5.86s-$160

Dana 60 master install kit-$110

WTO Stage 2 kit-$399

Spicer 35 spline stubs-$56 each

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a pair of Warn hubs for $165 I think but I forgot to add them to the list /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

yeah, I got a junkyard dodge dana 60 for $150. it was a steal, but I will still have to dump a ton of cash into it to make it functional. It has been sitting uncovered for I'd guess 20 years. The rotors and calipers are now one piece /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I popped the diff cover, the stock 4:10's are as rusty as the outside, no trace of gear oil to be found, and the bearings are trash as well.
    The only thing my axle has going for it, is the stock drive flanges, which will make upgrading to 35 spline outers cheap ($90 for resplining + outers).
    I'll need new inners as well (they are the stinky pinky variety), kingpins, brakes, gears, bearings, carrier, diff cover, yoke, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh mines not nearly that bad but I'm doing all the samethings.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hipinion /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats It cost to put a Dana 60 in a blazer?
    Rebuilt?
    New?
    And how hard is it?

[/ QUOTE ]4500 dollars for the good axle. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif yep 4500 , not worth one dime either. Get a used 60 from a farm truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hipinion /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve bought his from boyce as I recall. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im one of the "he got a hook up " guys, my 60 is a dodge unit that the guy could'nt figure out how to put under a jeep. I payed 200 bucks for it and found out how lucky i was later that night when i pulled the cover and found that it had 4.10s in it, same as my 14ff, but even with that i had to tear it down and spent about another 200 on primer,paint,new rotors, gear oil, gasket, seals, brake shoes, wheel studs, spring plates, u bolts brake lines, and im sure a few other things. The cheapest way to get one under a truck is to find one under a running truck and take everything you need, but the other side that coin is it will prolly cost more

16. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Like anything else, some deals are better than others.

I paid about an average price range for my D60. I got it and a 14 bolt w/ detroit locker for $1350. With the exception of the front carrier being busted (he gave me a new one ready to install) they were both pretty much able to go in and run. I, however, like most people will CHOOSE to spend the extra and rebuild parts etc vs finding out once it's in that somethings going south. Adding the cost of crossover etc is not really "part" of an axle cost. It's something someone chose the go with, and should be excluded from the rebuild price. After all, you can run a D60 without crossover... it's just that many people chose to go X over because of their suspension set up, preference, etc.

I would bet that in many cases you could take an average D60 someone has laying around and run it as is without trouble, but you would be taking a chance. It's better to just spend the extra and know it's starting off on the right foot. Once you have invested that much into something, you may as well make sure it's done right.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im not bragging about paying 500.00 for my 60 or anything.. cus i didnt pay that for it. i didnt pay anything for it. BUT after re-gear, high steer, and a rebuild, all self done i have droped about 1000 into it. thats with a spool up front as well. i traded lots of parts to get the bearings free. wheel bearings alone can cost from 70 to 100 dollars.
    grant

18. blazen86

Thanks yall so I guess finding an old farm truck and rebuilding it myself is the way to go. But finding that farm truck????? Where??? ohh i guess a farm would be a good start.