Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, May 15, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im going to look at a Dana 60 soon for $100 and the guy said it came out of a really nice truck and has heavy duty axles and has been beefed up and everything and it has Warn hubs and is painted lime green for some reason. Anyway, when I go to swap it in my truck, what all should I be looking at haveing to do? Will it just go right in like my 44 or will I have to do something different with the steering or something? I guess what im asking is, will the swaybar, drag link, brake lines, and especially, the driveshaft, all bolt up to the 60 the same as on my 44? Also one other question, I read somewhere once that a Dana 60 will make your truck sit about an inch higher than a Dana 44 because the spring perches are higher. Is this true? That would be an easy way to level my truck up a bit if the 60 will make it sit an inch higher.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

will sit higher. and get the spring plates and i think the sway bars are the same but not sure as i dont run one. and brake lines will bit if old is dana axle like you said. all other stuff will bolt up. but the pumkin is bigger so this will push the frt drive shaft back just a bit. so make sure you dont bottom out the shaft and brake somthing off. 100 bucks sounds kind of funny to me.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Get the spring plates and U bolts if ya can,the ones on your 44 wont work.If you still have stock steering on your truck and it still has the stock steering arm on the 60,you could run it like that.My brake lines bolted up fine.I did have to shorten my front driveshaft 1.5 inches (did it myself) and it should bolt up to your shaft if the 60 has a 1310 yoke.1980 models and up have non neckdown inner shafts,pre 80 they neck down just before the splines.You can run the BOM to get an idea of what your getting.

I hope for ya that it is a $100 60 :D Most $100 60s I have seen end up being external hub 44s :p:

Chris

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

all i have to say is look for kingpins and a spring perch that is ontop of the pumpkin

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Yeah im a little suspicious too but the guy seems to know what hes talkin about, I suppose ill find out. The driveshaft being a bit long should be perfect, since mine is barely long enough now and I want to put a bigger lift on anyway. I fogot to mention that its supposed to have a locker too. And the guy has a 14bff for sale for $100 too also with a locker, if he hasnt sold it yet. The supposedly came out of a one ton truck so im still optimistic that its a 60 but im not getting my hopes up too much since its easy to mistake it for a 44 if you dont know what to look for. Can anyone go in depth on why it will sit higher with a 60? Or is it simply because the spring perches are mounted higher and thats all there is to it? Does anyone know how much higher it will sit? An inch or so? And will the 60's shaft be at a better or worse angle than my 44's?

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IF the guy knew what he was talking about I doubt he would be selling a Dana 60 front axle for 100 bucks when it's worth $1500. But.....when people DON'T know what they have deals like that happen. I almost got a 60/14 combo with rear posi and 4.56 gears for $200 bucks out of the paper one time. When I called on the add on the first day he said he had just sold them, and that the guy was suprised how fast his buyer rushed over, loaded them up, and got the hell out of there so fast. I then had to explain why that was. :crazy:

Good luck to ya, hopefully it's a 60. If a guy hunts long enough with a little luck he can find himself some old ranch truck that happens to be a K30 for cheap, I know I'll never get a 60 unless I come up with something like that. No way in hell would I pay $1500 for one.

The reason why the 60 raises your truck an inch is because the axle tubes are bigger than the 44/10b. Same thing happens with a 14BFF over a 10B rear.