Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMMY76, Feb 23, 2007.

1. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

anyone have any problems running a detroit tru-trac in their dana 60f? I was set on the regular detroit, but I think the tru-trac might make steering a little better.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm running a full detroit up front in my D60 and unless you're trying to drive it on pavement with the front axle locked there is no troubles steering with the hubs unlocked.

3. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Street driving with true track or full locker?

I have a similar question as well. On the street with just one hub locked, what would the steering be like?

I'm in the process of building a D60 with 4.56 gears and would like to put a locker or posi of some sort in there, but, I do drive it in the winter on the street/highway a lot. With just one hub locked, would it act like a normal, open diff minus the occasional locking noise?

Thanks.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Am I seeing double :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :D ?!!

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

If you are referring to the old-school True-Trac, now known as Gleason-Torsen(I think) I would highly recommend it for general use, including the wife's truck. They are a strong and predictable limited slip differential which will lock and unlock on demand, not stay locked like a Detroit, or maybe stay locked or unlocked like a Trac-loc.
    The only drawback to the True-trac is (if I remember correctly) they are only rated up to 33" tall tires. That being said, I thorougly abused one in a 10 bolt with 4.56 gears and 36" Cepek Fun Country tires, and never had a bit of trouble. I wish I still had that rig.
    Jimbo