Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Dec 3, 2000.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Aug 3, 2000
    Just tyring doing some future planning. With a 10 bolt front axle how large a tire can you run and still have it be reliable on the trail? Would like to run 36" x 14.5 tires some day. Planning on upgrading to a 14 bolt ff in the rear, don't want to waste the money upgrading the front 10bolt to 8 lugs and end up gernading it and replacing it with a dana 60. So I'm asking for advise if I should go with the 60 from the getgo? Also I think I read on this board the with a 60 front end you'll gain 1-2" can someone confirm this for me. Are longer shocks and brake lines need when doing this convesion?
    Thanks for the imput guys! - Jay
  2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Jun 22, 2000
    The d60 spring pads are about an inch taller than the 10 bolt. I don't know about the shocks and lines. I installed some 5.5" BDS springs when I put in my 60. I bought some 32" SS brake lines and going with the Ford shock mounts with RS9012s.
  3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Feb 17, 2000
    I'd do the 60 from the start but thats just me and it all depends on your budget since a 60 is way overpriced to begin with. The 60 will actually lift your vehicle another 7/8" (found that out the hardway). You can keep your brake lines and shocks unless you plan for more lift to fit 36" tires. Dana 44 lines will not work (at least my 75 D44 lines wouldn't) but 10 bolt brake lines will fit.

87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]