Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by earl87gta, Oct 19, 2003.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I got my D60 and 14 bolt t0day and Im going to get it cleaned up painted and hopfly on my blazer. Ive done a serch but cant find this. When I put the front and in isnt thier some sort of plate I have to use with my 6in lift to get the bolts to sit correctly I know thier was a post on this but I cant find it and will I have to do any thing to the drive shafts im going from a d44 /12bolt Monday Im going to clean my axles up and start ordering parts for them. I am going to get a king pin rebuild kit and replace every thing before I put it in and probly all new barings basicly take it all apart and put it back together with as many new parts as I need to.
    Earl

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you talking about the spring plates? If you put any type of degree shim the bolts in the pass. side that go into the housing wont line up correctly.you need plates with the angles you need already milled into them. Talk to member TONYP, he makes them.........................

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I got off work today and went to checkout the axles waghtinmg for me at home and Im varry dis apointed they are beyond rusty They are going to be more work then I planned if I would have seen them up front I wouldnt have bought them. I wish my budy would have called and told me they where in this bad of shape when he piced them up from the guy in NY. It to late now Im going to sand blast every thing down and see how bad it rilly is I know thare is nothing left of the breaks on ether axle. and the axle shafts them selves are rusted at the joint so bad they have rust flaking on them. I hope I can use them still the 14 bolt isnt worth the truble its in bad shape so I will probly get one here. the D60 is in bad shape I hope it wont need new to many new parts buy the looks uf it I am going to have to do the 35spline up grade and new axle shaft now I rilly didnt want to spend that musch money on it now but no choice I have got to make them work now can you buy the studs and the covers for the king pins on the bottom of the axle the one on it I dont think can be saved I will be doing cross over steering so the cap on the right side top will not be a problem but what abought the left I didnt want to go to high steer but I may have to now unless some one has new caps. I have a lot of work a head of me the calipers are rusted so bad i dont even think I can use them as a core. One last thing check out the locking hubs on this thing I have never seen a set like this befor have you guys they look diffrent . /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I posted some pics here http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/album_thumbs.jsp?invite=SESrPhmpP58j6LYkkaDx

4. mudjunkie 82

Earl,don,t get discouraged. when I bought my 60 I think they fished it out from the bottom of the ocean.Took it all apart and re did the whole thing......

5. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im hoping after I take the sand blaster to it it will look better do you think I should take it a part first or blast it then tare it down it looks like sand blasting it will make it easyer to get it apart. the thing Im woried most abought is the axle shafts they have a lot of rust on them flaking off in spots I just wonder how bad it will effect the strenght of them. the other thing is they used a torck to remove the drive shaft from the yoke and it destoyed the yoke so I will have to replace it.

6. mudjunkie 82

Blast first then take apart.the tubes are pretty thick so do not worry too much about the flaking rust.yoke no big deal, they are easy to come by.

7. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Do you know if any one sells a rebuild kit for the lock out hubs that are on it Ive never seen a set like that before and wouldnt mind keeping them if I could.One of them came apart when I turned it and it looks like it may be missing a few peces compared to the other side.

8. mudjunkie 82

They look old,How far do you plan on going with the rebuild? Do you have a certain budget? I changed my outer shafts to 35 spline shafts.makes the 60 a lot stronger. to do this conversion you will need to change the lock out hubs to work with the new stub shafts. shafts run about 65.00 each ,the hubs about 175.00 for warn premiums

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

If I end up buying new hubs and stub axles I may as well do the 35 upgrade the cost diffrence shouldnt be that much. maby $50 or 150 if the stub axles I have now are good.unles I can find the stuff used in know I need new u joints and I may need no stub shafts but I wont know until I blast these ones clean and see what I got. Origanaly I was hoping to only put 200 to 300 in it but now Im thinking 600. thier goes my ARB money. Just the new king pins and barings will cost almost 300.

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

let me check this out for you...I'm rebuilding mine and the full rebuild kit is around $85.00 and it comes with the new king pins....I don't need them but there in the kit. "WAXER" is going to be putting mine back together and hes the one who know who sells the kit...
    I took mine apart to blast but didn't have anthing big enough to do the whole thing...

11. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

thanks Tony Every kit I have fond was 50 for the uper kit and 40 a peice for the lower king pin.

12. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I got it torn down today. It had a lot of water in it gut they are only rusted at the top of of the gears serfice rust they dont look that bad do you think it would be a bad Idea to use these gears. The water looks like it came in from the holes on the axles ware the ARB use to instaled . The baring cap had the grove cut in it and the hole was taped out. I thought it was strange that the axles were so rusted but had fresh permitex on the diff covers.

13. mudjunkie 82

Check the surface of the teeth on the gears,any pitting,The sides of the teeth should be flat-not concave like this / and not (.

14. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

The gears look almost new except for 5 teeth they have rust a little pitting on the edges but the the rest of it doesnt look to bad tomarrow I was thinking abought taking a wire brush to them and cleaning them up I will try to get a good pic to post of the rusted spots. Mabe i can find an ARB some ware for them sence part of the install is already done it looks like they put the origanal diff back in before they got rid of the truck. Maybe some one will have one for sale. soon.

15. mudjunkie 82

Sounds like they are O.K. A little rust won't hurt.Are you taking it all the way apart? I would put all new seals in it...

16. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im taking it completely apart I figure I may as well go as fare as I can. I hope I can get it back together after im done. I was going to buy all new king pins for uper and lower and buy a gear install kit what else do I need. I need a yoke to they got to close with the torch when they cut thee drive shafts off ware cab I gaet a new one. Tony did you get a chance to find out ware to buy the rebuild kit.
    Earl

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

18. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Thanks Tony. can you pm me with wha tit will take to get you to make my spring retaner plate for the passenger side.

19. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

about the hubs ive never seen those on a chevy axle but they were on the dodge dana 60 i bought. if it is a dodge axle the spring purches are 1" further apart than the chevy. so you will have to buy new offset bushing for the springs to spread them out. i got my new bushing from atron now known as azkickin offroad check this link for any dana 60 q's you mite have http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/

20. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

It came of an 80s somthing k30 I think 85 is what he said it was Im going to write the bom number down tomarrow so I can check. I think they may have puuled these hubs from a difrent axle they dont look like they are all there but just on there to close up the hole. I would keep them if I could find a kit to rebuild them with. I will probably just do the 35 spline up grade.