Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60's question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Nov 10, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

dana 60\'s question

will dana 60's from a late 70's dodge fit my jimmy? or will i have to relocate my spring perches? i have a doner vehical that has the D60's front and rear and only 53ooo miles. and 4.10's
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: dana 60\'s question

id just grad a tape measure and find out fo meself /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will fit, the springs just need to be tweaked a little to sit ont he perches. Do a search and you'll find lots of threads about this. </font color>

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I think the difference is less than half an inch if I recall correctly.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i got a dodge d60 in my truck, the springs perches are 1/2 an inch wider on the dodge, so the springs are only pushed out a 1/4 of an inch on each side, just bolt in the Diff side leaf then get something to push the springs apart, i used my hi-lift, push em apart, bolt up the other side, and bam your good to go, you will need a chevy steering arm, and prolly need to change the yoke (im not sure about this yet), but Brake lines bolt up,

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

WOOHOO

Does that mean I can quit looking (and crying at the price) for 78-91 GM SW one tons? I mean, modifying and/or moving spring perches is a piece of cake. Especially if I can find one for under $1000.

I'm going to do a search, but does anybody know what year and model Dodges I should be looking at? I mean, the old Dodge trucks and Ramchargers around here do nothing but add iron to the ground to make the pine trees grow faster. hehe.

7. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

We have two trucks here sittin at the shop i am located in Maryland I think one is a 78 it has 60's front and rear and then I think the other one is older and it has closed knuckle 70's drum brake front and rear. So this is a guess but I would check mid to late 60's through 70's.
    If you are interested I would like to sell the 60's or the 70's.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you cant really move the spring perch on the diff side, cuz as you prolly already know its cast into the diff, i was thinking you could just drill a hole a 1/4 of an inch closer to the diff but then the leaf spring wouldnt fit in there. Another thing that was brough up was, cut 1/4 of an inch off the inside bushing and put it on the outside bushing. Does this make sense?.... But spreading the springs seems to work the best, and you cant tell that they are spread unless you look real close.... id just spread them. There are a lot of dodge d60s out there, All the dodges with Diesel motors i think have d60s....

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You don't need to move the perches.
    Actually it's better that way, fourwheeler did that swap 2 years ago and when theu were testing it, they showed how when you droop one side and stuff the other, the 1/4inch difference makes it better.
    The only problem is when you want to install the springs, after that you are fine.