Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60's with Alloy Rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by a87ss305, Oct 24, 2002.

1. a87ss305

a87ss305 Registered Member

Dana 60\'s with Alloy Rims

I want to run 16" x 8" alloy rims (probably Eagle's or American Racing brand). Should I be concerned about having problems? I checked American Racing's website fitment guide and it listed a 17" x 8" rim as the recomended wheel for my application, a 1988 GMC K3500. Is this because of the Dana 60's brake caliper? Could a 16" x 8" alloy rim be used if I ground the caliper some like the guys running 15" rims do? Or are the alloys just so much thicker that this size just won't work at all?

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Re: Dana 60\'s with Alloy Rims

I am running 16x10 AE 589's on a D60 and do not have any problems, however, you won't have enough room to run stick on weights on the inside of the wheels.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That's interesting, Fred. I run the same wheels, same D60 and my weights ARE on the inside................. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 16x10 M/T Classic II wheels on my Dana 60 front end A-OK

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

That is interesting. When I put the 60 on and put on the new wheels, I had a slight "tick, tick...: when the wheel was spun which I traced to the stickon weight hitting the center of the casting on top of the caliper. My grinder made quick work of that.

Because of a DW issue I recently had my front wheels balanced and the weights used would not clear the caliper, they obviously were alot thicker than what I had previously used.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, maybe a difference in backspacing? I don't know what backspacing I have but can check............... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vewwy interesting............... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't balance my tires and maybe that is why I don't have problems. My 16x10 M/Ts have 4.25" BS if I remember correctly