Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 B Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeffHK5, Apr 19, 2005.

1. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Got a smoke'n deal on two Dana 70 b diffs . One has a BOM#605002 other has 603703. The "HD" and the "U" verisions get all the publicity but I looked at the "B" model stats and it looks very comparable . I know the HD has 4" tubes but I don't think I could break the 3.5" ers on the B model. They also have a 74.5" wms-wms which is just right for H1 wheels and a K5. I have searched CK5 and can't find anybody that loves or hates the 70B. Both of these diffs are 4.10/open and are in working order and I paid 75$ each. So now sombody can burst my bubble! All of my tech info came from DrivetrainSuperstores.
    Thanks Jeff

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The D70B is basically the normal D70. The just plain old D70 has a weird pinion offset. Nothing wrong with what you got...I suggest shave the crap out of them, they have a LARGE lip on the bottom, give you a bit more clearance. Good score, too, btw. :D

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

"B" series Dana 70 is all good ! It is the most common of all the 70's from what I have found.
    I am running a "B" series myself and have no regrets of letting my Dana 70 HD or my 14FF's go.
    Tom

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If it has 35 spline axle shafts, I'd say you're good to go.

5. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Cool

Thanks, I just sold my 14ff/4.56/Detroit to a buddy so that I could go to the wide style Dana 70 and not run spacers for my H1 beadlocks. I had hit a dead end on the 70 HD trail and these B style 70s fell in my lap. That JB Avatar is sweet! Yes they both have 35 spl.
    Thanks again Jeff

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Youprobably have the version used on the 1-ton cutaway vans. 3.5" tubes, 35-spline shafts. There's also a D60 of the same width w/35-spline... just for a slightly lower GVWR. May prove handy for weight savings, ground clearance, and parts swappability. ;)