Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 / corp 14 ???'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Jul 16, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Dana 70 / corp 14 ???\'s

Ok I have found 2 dana 70's and here is some ??'s

1.Pro's/con's- not what is stronger
    2.What mods are required to shoe it under a 73 blazer
    3.Anyone with pic's on the swap
    4.In all honesty is it worth the 150..
    Ok I left off this info ...
    It is in a 1976-77 dodge KarryVan (yes that is that it is called
    Single wheel not duals
    Model # on the vin plate was C30 and the rear gross was like 5860 lbs and 3660 on the front ...
    The other one is in another van but not sure on the year...I think it was 78-83 maybe...

Thanks all ...mike

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Dana 70 / corp 14 ???\'s

Personally, I feel that the D70 is worth it, especially if you don't already have a big rear axle. At $150, that's a fair price for either axle, however, "fair price" (of course) directly relates to your immediate market. The D70 offers a broader range of gear ratios to choose from but then again a locker is much more expensive. Gears for either axle will be $250 or more.

The 14 bolt is a great axle if you dont need more than 5.13's. I currently have one in my truck but now I am building a D70HD to replace it because I want the option of bigger ratios. The 14 bolt is usually the logical choice but the D70's $150 price tag is sweet!

As far as what it will take to fit it in your truck will depend on what it came out of. There are different width housings and also some versions that will not accept large ratios. Try to get the "Bill of Material" number off of it and post it here for someone to research (if you cant tell what it came from).

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of putting one in mine right now. The bonus for me is that mine is going to be trail only so I'm welding my rear, so there's no extra expense for me. As far as gears go you can get 5.87's for around 50.00, there NOS for M715's. Yes they have an odd 11 spline yoke but I'm sure I'll break something else before that. And I'm putting disc brakes on it. I found a place that has weld on disc brackets for around 15.00 that will work for a couple of different axles. So as you can see I won't have very much into this at all. Hope this helps. Later

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

at $150----take it---you could pay more if someone knows what they're talking about---there is a LLLOOOONNNNGGGG post on the Pirate board going throungh the pros and cons for both---just use the search button for "D70 VS. C14" or somethin like that---has LOTS of info

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think that the biggest issue is whether you can find an axle with the proper gears already installed. I'm running a D70 HD with 35 spline 1.5" axleshafts. It has 4.10 gears and is welded. I have had no problems and it does not have 11 splines on the pinion. I haven't counted, but it is much finer than that. All I had to do was move the spring perches and it bolted right up. The housing is 4" O.D. I also think that it has better ground clearance and, at the risk of becoming a "CK5 outlaw", I think it is a better looking axle. The biggest drawback is higher expense for a Detroit....but you can't get a spool for either axle, you CAN get other lockers like an ARB and such for a D70, and the have the "cool factor" because not everyone has one.

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

When I said that they have an 11 spline yoke, I was refering to just the NOS 5.87's for M715's, not all dana 70 gears. I just wanted to clear that up so there no confusion.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The "cool factor" is another reason I'm building a D70HD in my truck, very few GM trucks have a Dana rear axle. With the vast majority having a 14 bolt, a Dana rear axle definetly has a double take quality to it. The fat tubes of the HD axle and the ability to have 7.17(!) gears doesn't hurt either.

There is someone making a spool for a 14 bolt now. I don't know who makes it but do a search it's been covered here before. There are a few spools out there for 70's but they are custom non production pieces.