Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 70 disc brake brackets

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by barryb, Oct 13, 2004.

1. barryb

barryb Registered Member

I am looking for a bolt on set. I found a set of dana 60/70 with 4.56 gears and i would like to use swap them in.
    Any info of where to purchase if no one has them/builds them would be helpful.

thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't think anyone here makes brackets for a D70 (I could be wrong). TSM Manufacturing makes a couple of rear disc kits for D70's but it all depends on what your axle came out of. Realistically, if it's not a Dodge D70 you'll probably have to fab something yourself.

Just fyi, if there are no kits available the flange on the axle may be the same as a 14 bolt (my D70HD is) so you might be able to do something with 14 bolt brackets.

3. barryb

barryb Registered Member

thanks , i emailed tsm to see if they sell just the brackets instead of a complete kit - it is a dodge.

My first go round with the rear disk brakes i used a weld on bracket, but being a newbie - i wasnt watching closely enough and hit the rear seal race with a grinder .... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I havent had any luck resealing the axle , even with a repair kit ....... so i may have to try and weld something up them again - i would like to keep the 14 bolt i have, but the 70 is free and the right ratio....

thanks for the info. Anybody else got any ideas ??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would love to be able to help you out but don't have a 70 to look at for design purposes. Sorry not much help. A 14 bolt bracket may well be modifiable for this purpose but hard to tell.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If you find any let me know! I have never found any, but I was told that you can use a weld on bracket and make it all work. Somebody on here has done it w/ the weld on brackets.

6. barryb

barryb Registered Member

i found a bolt on set for a dana 60 rear, it mounts with a 3 3/8th bold spacing, and have read at the tsm website that is the 70 bolt spacing is the same , but im am not sure if they are the correct backspacing for the caliper yet, or if that matters... I will post some pict when/if i get it done.

any thoughts?

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

All you need to do is get all the parts and assemble everything but leave the caliper bracket on the spindle loose. Bolt the caliper to the bracket (loaded with brake pads) and it will center itself on the rotor. At that point you can measure the distance between the bracket and axle flange so you know how thick to make the spacer, the bolt pattern is the same so no problem there.

Since the caliper "floats" back and forth there is a fabrication gray area that's a mile wide. You can have the bracket off a little and it ill still work AS LONG AS IT'S PARALLEL TO THE ROTOR SO NOTHING BINDS.

I made a rear disc set up for my D70HD using front D60 parts, it's not as hard as you'd think. You can see some pics of my axle on my web site (see sig). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

i did disc on my 70hd & i used these weld on brackets. had to modify them to fit the fat a$$ axle tubes, but it was not a problem + they are cheap

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

FRIZZLEFRY linked this post for me when I was inquiring about D70 disc brakes.