Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 disk brake??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dcell152, Jun 6, 2005.

1. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

Is there a kit to convert a Dana 70 to disk brakes? If so will they clear 16" rims? I'm puting it in my 88. My 10 bolt rear spun the pumkin on the tubes, And my front 10 bolt blew to. I'm going with a dana 60 in the front and the 70 in the rear.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

No standard off the shelf kit that I know of.
    In order to help with more info we will need to know details about what D70 you are planning on using ???
    There are SEVERAL types/styles of D70's and hub arangements with way too many backing plate flanges patterns and positions to lump all into one answer.
    That being said you will most likely be fabbing your own caliper brackets since the aftermarket does not address the D70's with pre-fabbed kits like they do for the 14FF.
    Tom

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

it would probably be cheaper to just get a 14b and go from there. they are cheap, plentiful and the parts are readily available. broken d70 = probably have to order the parts.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Great Lakes Offroad does. Here is a good write up on disks on a 70. found it linked off pirate a while back....
    CLICKITY

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

6. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

It can be done.
    We used a few donor axles and did one .
    You will need 10 bolt caliper holders to cut to weld to the D70 tube after you remove the backing plates(cut down to a circle , enlarge to fit tube)
    D44 caliper brackets to match drill and bolt to 10 bolt flanges welded to tubes
    D44 rotors fit the D 70 hubs when you knock off the drums
    Align everything where you want and you will have a disk conversion that seems to work very well
    Just look at some of the kits you can buy , see what they have and get fabbing :grin:

BTW this was done on a Dodge D70 that we clocked to help pinion angle , just take your time and figure out what you want for an end result

Happy fabricating

Note - this is just off the top of my head ,I may have forgot a step :blush:

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Nvrenuf is doing it with dana 60 calipers. :D