Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 front and RC20 rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, May 28, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I may have an opportunity to get a pair of axles, 20 inch rims and some old military tires for a few hundred bux. He says they came w/ Detroits front and rear ususally and had 4.88s or 5.89s were the only 2 gears that came in this particular rig.

Im half tempted to try it. The front is closed knuckle, 35 spline inner and outter w/ a big 6 pattern. The rear RC20 I cant say Ive ever heard of. He said it resembles a MASSIVE Ford 9in. like a Rockwell or Eaton. They are comeing out of an International truck, like a 1+ton truck. OH and it has a divorced case too, hes not sure if its a 205 or not.

I think the big 6 pattern is whats throwing me off right now since I dont want to recenter my rims or have to pony up for new tires right now to run the 20s. Ive been toying w/ the idea of 49-52 inch Michelins anyhow and would need the 20s for them anyhow.

Oh yeah the drag link is BEHIND the axle tube BTW so its out of harms way.

He said he was asking 500 for the whole thing but now the motor and tranny are gone so I could get them CHEEP!

Whats yalls opinion? Anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of these and will a 15in rim even fit over the brakes if I were to get mine recentered?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Got any pics. of these unit's? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Sure dont. They are like 45 min away. I have seen an International before that was a customer of my dads shop that had the same set up. Im kinda wondering if its the same truck found its way up there. The big 6 pattern is what grabbed my attention on that one and they were some big ole pigs.

If I knew it was even worth the ride Id go check them out some and take some pics.

Getting replacement parts scares me. Id hate to get a pair of axles I cant get bearings and such for. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Changing the pattern on wheel's is'nt that big of a deal, as long as there is enough material to do it that is. Bearing's, Seal's, etc. should'nt be a problem at all, it's thing's like the gearset should one break or have a chunk missing that would be hard to come by maybe....

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I believe its called a "RA-20". All I can find is it has an 11" ring gear, and rated for 10,000lbs. The center section is apparently the same as the lighter RA-15, which could have a 4.30 ratio.

Personally, I'd be sticking with the 20" wheels and running Michelins.... 48" tires sound nice, eh?

This is link to a company that makes a disc brake conversion for old Dodge powerwagons. I realize they're 5-lug, but the pictures should be good for some ideas anyway.

http://www.uglytruckling.com/11_brakes_w300.html

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd pick'em up and figure something out for them. The D70 should have what some call a "bear claw" style joint. It is upgradable to u-joint axles if neccesary. If you already have 20" rims then you are all set. Just have them cut and widened.

7. Pure Insanity

Thanx for the input guys. I may have to go look into these and see if I can "steal" them or trade my way into them. Hes had them laying around a few yrs so maybe hes ready to let them go cheap.

Im starting to convince myself I need these axles. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I know its a closed knuckle design, and thats generally not a good thing but I am yet to figure out why that is.

I didnt think about the fact that theyre prob. drum front brakes and thats not good at all for what I would be doing w/ them.

Ill have to go see them and see where it leads. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. Pure Insanity

OK I think I have found some pics of what these are. Looks like small drums in the rear and drums in the front too. The pics I got were 8 lug versions. I am yet to find any good shots of the big 6 type, but these look familiar to what the truck I seen looked like.

HMMMMM Maybe I can convert to 8 lug, Change out to a 2wd TH350 w/ a short intermediate shaft drop the divorced case some...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rear view of front axle... [​IMG]

Front view close up of right knuckle... [​IMG]

I dont think this is the EXACT rear axle but its close...maybe a lighter version. [​IMG]

And a front view... [​IMG]

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That looks pretty beefy I'd do it if the price was right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Pure Insanity

WHY?! OH WHY do I do this to myself?! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

OK I am DEFINATELY gonna have to look into these. If it werent for the big 6 pattern I would have been on them already. Ive known about them for several months. I just hate to change the rim centers.

Oh and I found somewhere that the lug studs are 5/8. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Lets see, get these cheap, sell my 3/4 ton stuff, get rim centers from USA6X6.........

Im rambling at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. yellowK20

Might as well get 52" Michelins while your at it theres a guy on ebay who lives in anthony New Mexico who is selling them for 600 bucks a set with lots of tread left /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    Might as well get 52" Michelins while your at it theres a guy on ebay who lives in anthony New Mexico who is selling them for 600 bucks a set with lots of tread left /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] OH STOOOOP! YER KILLIN ME! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. yellowK20

Ah come on IT's only MONEY /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Pure Insanity

Well ya see USA6X6 is in cahoots somehow w/ Differential Engineering that is "local" to me. I think DE is a southern wharehouse type thing for USA. USA sells NEW 52s for $225 each. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Half the price of a 44 Bogger.

OK I need to slow down...I just bought land like 2 days ago and I have get a house built...If I get them theyll have to sit.

But if I had them and I broke the front 10 bolt...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. yellowK20

See know your talkin' !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The RC20 axle was manufactured by International. Not cheap or easy to find parts for but the 4.88 or 5.x-something gear ratios are correct. There is a guy on the old IHC mailing list that could help you out with more info on these axles. go to old ihc.org and sign up for the free email list. Ask for info on those axles there and Herman should answer you...

As far as the 6 lug pattern, IHC used it for many years but you wont find very many commercially available wheels for it. You can get them though.

17. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

If these were 45 minutes away from me I would have owned them within an hour.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dana 70? :drool:

11" Ring Gear? :drool:

If you don't do it, let me know and I'll drive all the way down to Florida with the trailer and buy them. I need a good roadtrip!!!

Any time you need a voice of reason, you know who to turn to!!!

Cheers,
    Scott

18. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    The RC20 axle was manufactured by International. Not cheap or easy to find parts for

[/ QUOTE ] Thats what Im afraid of. If the axles were 8 lug Id not think twice since I could drop a 14 in the rear and be done if the RC gives up.

What ARE the odds of breaking something if maintained decent? Is the lug pattern the same as Rockwells or Mogs?

Can the front be swapped to 8 lug if need be?

I am still seriously considering these tho.

19. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    Any time you need a voice of reason, you know who to turn to!!!

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Ill remember you when I need some more incentive. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The RC20 axle was manufactured by International. Not cheap or easy to find parts for

[/ QUOTE ] Thats what Im afraid of. If the axles were 8 lug Id not think twice since I could drop a 14 in the rear and be done if the RC gives up.

What ARE the odds of breaking something if maintained decent? Is the lug pattern the same as Rockwells or Mogs?

Can the front be swapped to 8 lug if need be?

I am still seriously considering these tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. You should give me the name, address and phone number of the owner and let me go buy these horrible upgrade parts before you get taken by this man. I will use them up as a service to you. I'll take a chance on needing replacement parts for them.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
    Scott