Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 frontend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Longhorn4x4, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

I've got a Dana 70 front end, closed knuckle, with drum brakes and big six bolt pattern. Is there anyone who can tell me if there are parts avaialable to put disc brakes and eight lug locking hubs on this monster?

The Dana 70 has 4.88:1 gears, and I have an Eaton HO 72 rear, does anyone know where I can get a 4.88:1 gear for my Eaton? How about a locker?
    Thanks.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dang, what are these things on? or where did you find em?

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

'60s era International trucks used them. Dodge did as well but the ones I seen had 8 lug hubs. 4.88 seems to be a common gear, prices are low due to several factors.
    1) six bolt hubs
    2)drum brakes
    3)"bear-claw" style axle joints(no longer available)
    4) REALLY heavy.

Closed knuckle would make a decent front axle for a bog truck. Remove the drums and backing plates and run t-case mounted brake. Most seem to have power-loks in them as well. Truck salvage yard advertiesed a matched set of these axles for $500. Many passed on them.

4. Longhorn4x4

The Dana 70 came from an M715 1 1/4 ton truck, and the Eaton HO 72 came in my 70 Chevy C30 Longhorn. I'm converting the 70 Chevy C30 Longhorn to 4x4 (my Dad bought it new, from my uncle at a nearby dealership). I've got enough stuff to make it run now, I've got a Dana 44 with 4.56:1 gears under it, and a 454 with a 400 Turbo and an NP 203. The 454 will be reworked again (450HP is NOT enough) I have an NP 205 I need to convert from SM465 to 400, and I'd like to get that Dana 70 converted to disc brake with 8 lugs and lockouts, and find a 4.88:1 locker for the Eaton. I've heard someone has started making ring and pinions for the Eaton again, but they did not have a 4.88 originally.

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

On ORC you never said it was a dana 70, in that case you best bet would be warn industries or milemarker for a set of hubs, they usually have som obscure things kicking around.

6. Longhorn4x4

This is a different front end. I've got two Dana 44s I need hubs for too. Regret the confusion, my fault. I've got lots of parts, I wish most of them worked, fit together, and were in one piece!
    Thanks for the help though.

Oh, and I like your truck. Six bangers are cool, you can get some serious power from a 292, I like building those things.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

WHy run a d70 with closed knuckles? I think they asre about as strong as a d44 with open knuckles, in my mental comparison.
    -- Mike

8. Longhorn4x4

Really? I've heard they were about the same as an open knuckle Dana 60. I have not torn it down, because I don't want to do it twice. I guess I could take a close look inside the knuckles.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The closed knuckle hides the axleshaft ujoints which are the size of d44 pieces. Yes, the R&P in greatly stronger. But a weak point is a weak point.
    Some people have converted d70s to open knuckle ($$$) and they are very strong then.
    For the record, there were some factory open knuckle d70 fronts, but they are very very hard to find.

The open knuckle d60 has much larger axleshaft ujoints and is stronger than the d70 closed knuckle because of that.
    -- Mike

10. Longhorn4x4

Thanks. Like I said, i have not torn the front end down yet. I'll look deeper into it. I may just scrounge up a Dana 60 anyway. I'll have to figure out exactly what I'm going to use, so that I don't buy anything I don't need. Especially ring and pinion sets. I've got to pick a gear ratio, to fit the axles I'm going to use. I've got about 8" of lift, and I'm going to run about a 38" tire. I don't need a lot of gear, with 550HP and over 600 foot pounds of torque.

11. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

there are three 70 front lurking around, that I have seen, a large closed knuckle a small closed knuckle and an open knuckle (very rare). I own a large closed knucke and they use a considerbly larger u-joint than the dana 44. I converted my 8 lug 70 from drum's to disc's, using 3/4 ton rotors and willwood dual piston calipers. the weak link on my style 70 is the 19 spline outers. (hence why I am buying a 60) I live close to nashville if you want to see my axle for some ideas. Jesse

12. Longhorn4x4

I may just take you up on that offer. I live just outside of Nashville, in Murfreesboro. The truck and the three front ends are at my Mom's place in Scottsville KY. I'm going to go ahead and dive off into that Dana 70 of mine here soon.
    Thanks,
    Alan

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a M-715 with a Dana 70 front axle, at least that was original. A guy I work with has an original M-715 and is pretty deeply involved in a M-715 club. The original closed knuckle front axles on these were Dana 60's with 5.83 ratios and drum brakes.

14. Longhorn4x4

Okay, maybe I'm wrong. Probably am. I was told is was from an M 715. Could have been something else, the guy I bought it from probably didn't really know. This one is definately a 70, with 4.88, drums, funky busted lockouts, and big six pattern. Anyway, I need to look closely at it and see where I go from here.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it sounds very dodge

16. Longhorn4x4

I'll try to get up there and get some pics, it'll be a few days. Probably IS Dodge, but it has military paint on it, or at least it did.
    Alan

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

International also used those Dana 70's with 6 lugs in the 1950's and 60's. If you dont use it I can probably set you up with a guy that can...

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think I saw one of these today at the junkyard. It was buried under some pine straw, and when I saw kingpins, I nearly wet myself. That feeling disappeared when I uncovered it and found drum brakes and closed knuckles. It looked good still other than the CUSTOM CRAP spring perches.

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If it has the original Warn hubs (they look ike Warn Premiums), you'll find they have the IH logo in the center.

mj: You've seen Glen's (from S.W.A.T.) Chevrolet Spartan 80 haven't you? The 5-ton wrecker he brings to the truck shows? That's the IH Dana 70 he has in the front of it. Big six-lug pattern. 22.5" wheels. Throws a 50's 1-ton on the back of it just for kicks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif