Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 gears/housing interchangablility

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a Dana 70 Dodge 1990 3/4 ton rear end. I also have a 1960 5.86 Dana 70 ring and pinion out of an M715. I know I'd need a differennt carrier... but is there any way to utilize the '90 Dana 70 housing, or did they change too many things for any of these parts to be used together?

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

The ring gear should be the same, but there are different spline counts on the pinion I think. Think you may want to sell that 5.86? I think the carriers are different on some dana 70's too.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If the 70 housing out of the Dodge originally came with certain gears like 3.07's than it might not work as easy as it should. Some D70's have an offset pinion position to allow for lower numerically ratio's ( same voodoo as the Dana 61's ) .
    What was the original ratio ?
    Tom

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The Dana 70 1990 Dodge rear end was in a 2500 Cummins truck, with 3.54 gears. I was told that these Dana 70's were a bit different than others, but wasn't sure if the housing itself differed so much as to not accept other gears/carriers. The 3.54's probably were the same housing/carriers as the 3.07s I would assume.

The 5.86 pinion gear takes a course spline yoke which I have, but it's for a 1310 u-joint.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I guess the best way to find out ( besides tearing into it ) is get the B.O.M.# off of the housing and call one of the gear wholesale vendors and see if they agree that the housing will take standard type ratio's.

The yoke should not be a problem but you might run into the pinion pre-load difference . At some point Dodge used a D70 that used a crush sleeve for pre-load instead of shims like the old days ( actually i think this started in 1994 so you should not have to worry about it ) . From what I have learned the factory housings that came with crush sleeve pinions will accept shim style pinions with no problems just like old Toyota Land Cruiser chunks.

Good luck and keep us posted .
    Tom