Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 70 mods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Apr 2, 2006.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

has anyone put disk brakes on a 83 d70? any kits? anyone used a lock right in one?

I am thinking about putting a d70 that I can get pretty cheap in my truck, comes with 4.56 gears and huge drums.

let me know if you have done mods to one thanks

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

In the vendor forum, someone is offering disk kits for D70's. One thing, I have a D70U, and while it was sitting on the floor of my shop I decided to prep it for disks, since I had the hubs all apart to swap wheel studs. I had a set of 8-lug ten bolt rotors, but they wouldnt fit over the hub. I ended up having to turn about a tenth of an inch or so off the diameter. So now they'll fit when I finally get around to making the swap. I researched this problem here and on pirate, it seems that some have this problem, and others do not.

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy has one sitting in my shop. Its a D70HD, he made his own disc brackets and stuff. He has the 4.56's and a Detroit.

Clay

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You'll have a hard time with a bolt-on kit... the backing plate flange is *really* far away from the rotor. You could do a weld-on kit easily enough.

You could also cut the welds off the flange, use a typical 14bFF kit, and reweld the flange where the bracket dictates. Just have to find out if the kit will take a 4" axle tube :thinking:

Something else to look at if you're bored. ;)
    http://www.nvrenuf.fws1.com/custom.html