Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, Feb 10, 2002.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I just opened up the diff of the dana 70 rear axle I was planning on useing for my project. I found that the ring and pinion gears have several large nicks in them.

What are my options? Should I re-gear, or just scrap the whole thing and get another axle. Maybe a 60 or 14 bolt.

It's ok to love your truck.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would sell the 70 and buy a 14B FF. They are cheep, almost a direct bolt in, and detroits for them are about $200 cheeper than any other axle.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The decision on wether to keep or scrap really depends on what gear ratio you ultimately want to run. The 14 bolt is limited to a 5.13 while the D70 can take up to a 7.17.

From a money stand point, you do already own the D70 but, as previously stated, the D70 locker is considerably more expensive. The gear prices are reasonably close.

I've had a 14 bolt in my truck for about 14 years so I'm not knocking it, it's been a great axle but now I'm planning to swap in a D70 so I can go with more gear.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The decision on wether to keep or scrap really depends on what gear ratio you ultimately want to run. The 14 bolt is limited to a 5.13 while the D70 can take up to a 7.17.

From a money stand point, you do already own the D70 but, as previously stated, the D70 locker is considerably more expensive. The gear prices are reasonably close.

I've had a 14 bolt in my truck for about 14 years so I'm not knocking it, it's been a great axle but now I'm planning to swap in a D70 so I can go with more gear.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well if you are thinking of scrapping it let me know. I wouldn't mind a D70 for the right price. You gain a bit of ground clearence, but loose cash cause you have to cut the perches and shoick mounts to fit. Also setting up the R&amp;P would be costly.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

In stead of using a Detroit, I would use a ARB, that is another advantage of the 70. Cutting brakes anyone?

Blazin' Trails ORD Style