Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 or 14ff what is stronger?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Apr 14, 2002.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I keep getting such conflicting stories on this. some say a Dana 70 is stronger others say a 14 bolt is stronger. All I know is they are both beefy diffs. What are you opinions. Can someone detail why they think one way or another?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Id run the 14bolt, and I dont think there is an arguable difference in strength between the two. my $0.02
    mike

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yes but I like uniqueness about my vehicles. A friend has a great deal on a dana 70 and well I work at 4 wheel parts and I am able to get the manufacturers to give me gr8 corp discounts on the parts

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

According to a list in an old issue of 4wheel offroad, they list a 70 to be stronger than a 14bolt full floater

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

They've got the same thicness axle tubes and similar size ring gears, don't they? The axle tubes on my Dana 70 are HUGE though. I'm not sure if this benefits anything.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no clear winner strength wise between the D70 and the 14 bolt. In fact you have to know your D70's to get the 'right' one so to speak. Most are 35 spline 1 1/2" axles with a 10.54" ring gear, but starting in 91 the Dodge D70's were 1.41" axle shafts with 32 spline...

If you have the latest 4 wheel and of road mag check out the nuts and bolts section. There is a pretty good breakdown on the D70's and all the variations.(pages 154, 155)

Rene

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

From everything I've learned/seen/been told, I believe the two are similar in much the same way that D44s and C10s are similar. Each is just a smidge stronger than the other here and there, but there is no clear winner with regard to strength. However there are other things to consider.

The C14 is much easier to work on with regard to locker installation and R/R. Gear setups are much easier. Lockers and parts are much cheaper. The axle assembly is much more common and MUCH cheaper, especially in the widths we need for SRW.

The D70 has much lower gears available. C14 is limited to 5.13 but the D70 can go as low as 7.?? if I recall correctly.

Basically for me there is ONLY ONE REASON to go D70 and that is if you want to go lower than 5.13. I have considered a D70 for that very reason but, unless I stumble across one dirt cheap with the right gears (5.5-5.9 range, don't know the exact ratios) and Detroit Locker already in I'll probably never do anything about it.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Currie Enterprises rates them as Equals, FWIW.

14BFF are a dime a dozen. you can get them for 2 C-notes if you look around a bit. Heep guys use them, as do Mopar Sheeps guys and Furds, because of the strength and commonness of the parts. any shop worth its weight in u-joints has 14bff parts.

just my 2 bits...

9. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

They're pretty close in strength.
    The dana 70 can go with lower gearing. It also give you about 1/2" extra ground clearance
    The 14 bolt is strong, much more readily available and cheaper

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thats funny, on another bbs I was told the 14 has better ground clearance.

the hub design is better on a 70, wider bearing spacing. grasping here

d70 parts are available everywhere. ford chev dodge international all used 70s and Dana still makes them

I like the 14ff but have a 70

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

One other advantage to the D70 (if you consider it an advantage /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) is that the ARB Air Locker is available for the D70 now whereas if you have the 14FF like me; you're still waiting! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif