Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by baldtatrings, Jun 3, 2005.

1. baldtatrings

baldtatrings Newbie

I have a Dana 70 I picked up at a junkyard out of GMC Van Dura 3500, any one have any experience with these axles? It is 65-66" WMS to WMS. Is it worth narrowing and keeping it to go under Blazer/Jimmy? Or is it best to sell it and aim for a full float 14 bolt? I have found a shop that will narrow it, but it has huge drums on it. Thanks for any info.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are you sure it needs to be narrowed? Seems like those WMS numbers are about what the standard rear axles are. I know the dually D70HD is about 74". :thinking:

FYI, I have had a D70 narrowed before and it was not as easy as the shop initially thought. I ended up having to give them a second axle to verify their measurements/straightness of the first. It's been a long time so I can't remember what the actual problem was, TARussell helped me deal with the shop (since it wasn't local to me) with it so he may remember more.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

John , your first D70 HD was bent from the wreck that truck was in ( the truck went flying of the cliff near Scenic Hwy ) so they used your second HD 70 from that dually pick up that came from "Red-Neck Chris" . The shop could have corrected the bent tube by adjusting the position of the spindle mount but we went with the other housing since it was in perfect shape and straight as can be.

The wide D70's that were in the GM Vans are not HD's but they are just as good as other D70's. I can not remember if they are of the offset pinion design or not but a B.O.M. number should be helpful if that is an issue for you.
    Double check your WMS to WMS measurement again - I seem to remember those applications being very wide.
    HTH , Tom

4. baldtatrings

baldtatrings Newbie

Thanks.

Thank you guys so much for the quick reply, help me with this, what are differences between and D 70 and a D 70HD? I also found some kits to convert it to disc brakes, it is worth it to spring for the discs or just keep the drums. Thansk again.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The D70HD is typically found in dually pick ups, it's going to have bigger axle tubes (4" dia) and some of the bearings are bigger (carrier, 1 pinion). It's a bigger, beefier axle but the "normal" D70 is a fine axle and, for our purpose, just as strong.

Disc brakes are cool, if you can do it I would. They will stop better and reduce the rotating weight by a good bit.

6. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

Do the D70, better gear choice than the 14bolt, and better ground clearance, they hang 3/4" of an inch lower than A d60, and they are rated slightly stronger than a 14bolt.
    And you don`t have to narrow it.
    I have one on my blazer.
    Click on my link below and you can view my blazer.