Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 Vs. 14BFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mini_mull, Oct 22, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I know the ring gear on a D70 is 10.54" and on the 14BFF is 10.5". I also know the bearings are the same. But, what are the other differences or pros and cons to the 14BFF versus the Dana 70? Educate me, please. :D

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

from what I've read there the same strenght. one big difference is the price of building them. the 14ff is much cheaper. the d70 is 35spline the 14ff is 30spline the there both FF. the 14ff is limited in locker choice but lately there's been more aftermarket support. the lowest you can gear the 14ff is 5.13 but there's 5.?? that there starting to sell. you you can gear the d70 down to 7.17. I think the d70 has a little better ground clearance. That's all I can think of at the moment.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

5.38 is the new ratio for 14bff
    D70s are harder to go disk brake on... doable, but more $$$
    its a lot easier to find parts for a 14b *IF* you manage to break it

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The tubes on the D70 dwarf the 14 bolt.

I have one of each in my trucks and for a tow/street rig you can't beet a D70. For the trail the 14 bolt has the advantage of spare parts being really common and cheap.

Both have very similar specs inside the diff as far as R&P and carrier strength and the hubs are interchangeable so....
    Comes down to axle tubes and axle shafts and the D70 is far supperior in those but probably not worth the hassle of disk brake swaps and finding spare shafts should you ever break one. When was the last time one of your buddies bent a axle tube on his 14bolt ;)

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Cost wise,building a 70 is is the same as a 14 bolt.The only thing that will be more expensive is a Detroit.Arbs for the 70 are cheaper and you have more options when it comes to traction aids.And it is not more expensive to convert a 70 to disc brakes.It can be done with 3/4 ton rotors and calipers and caliper brackets are available from several manufacturers :D

To me,the only real reason to get a Dana 70 now days is if you want lower gearing options.I had a built 14 bolt and went to a 70 for that reason alone.

6. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

I like how on a 14 boltff you can remove 6 bolts and pop the whole pinion carrier out so you can work on it on the work bench, plus like said before jsut about every 3/4 ton and 1 ton had a 14 bolt so parts are easy to get heck I have 3 of them my self and never came across a dana 70 yet.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

to my knowledge, nobody has actually produced 5.38s for 14b yet....still in the works...who knows if they will ever be completed

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the 70 is stronger. only some 70's had bigger tubes, if you look at them the reduce in size at the end. the chevy 70 has the same size tubes. the 70 (from a chevy) is wider also.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/dana70discbrakes/ theres spme info about the axle (and a comparison with a 14 bolt) It has a nodular iron housing (easier to weld to the the cast 14 bolt) and has an 8000lb torque rating compared to the 14 bolts 6242, that means its 30% stronger

10. FRIZZLEFRY

From some reading I did the other day this is true.Lots of people list them but no one has them in stock and there is no set release date.It keeps being pushed back.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

My D70U has the necked down tubes, but they're still way beefy. Also, you dont need to shave a 70U, not sure about the 70HD. My 70U is as smooth as a babys bottom, no ribs or big lip to catch on anything. Also, the Dana powr-lok is available for the 70, and everything I have heard about the powr-lok says that as far as limited slips go, it is the sh!t. I got a 70 'cause I didn't wanna be like every othe Chevy owner who went one-ton with a 14FF. I just saw in the vendor forum that disk brake brackets are the same price as for the 14FF, so that point is "kind of" moot. I say kind of because I had to take a bit off ogf my hub to make a 8-lug rotor seat on it all the way, but from the research I have done, most 70's will take a rotor with no mod's at all. I had to relocate spring perches, but you'd have to do that anyway with a 14FF from a 1-ton.

12. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

14Bff is much easier to set up a new ring and pinon. Adjustable side bearing supports and removeable pinion support. Might be a bonus if you were planning on swapping gears yourself. Plus the Detroit for a 14bff is CHEAP and stupid easy to install.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Both are tough as nails. The 70s are a little different thoughout the years.

14. nmud2deep

nmud2deep Registered Member

i saw in the new 4wheel parts cat. there was such thing as a dana 80....anyone know anything about them and what they came in,strenght rating,anyone use them?

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

IIRC, they were an option in the Ford F350's.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

dodge 3500's come with 80s i believe.

they are prolly too big and would kill ground clearance. dont think many use them...also dont know bout after market parts for it..

17. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

If your looking at strength and there is only little difference between the 14ff and 70 just go all out and get a set of rockwells :D they are cheap can a lot of options for them i guess its just the fab work that makes people reconsiter :rolleyes:

18. FRIZZLEFRY

I think its the ammount of lift that you have to have to run a Rockwell that keeps people away.

If I could run Rockwells with a 4" lift,I would have done it already :D

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Nice Shovel....

20. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Yes there are Dana 80s but they are almost all duallies and the pumkin is HUGE.