Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70, what can it handle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JonPuckett2002, Sep 8, 2002.

1. JonPuckett2002

JonPuckett2002 Newbie

I have a Dana 70 on an old ambulance that I bought to rebuild the engine, unfortunatly it's a Ford, don't kill me!! I am using the money I get from selling the 460 big block and c-6 tranny to buy a big old blazer. I have this Dana 70 that has 4.10 gears, I don't really want to get rid of it because I want to use it. My dream setup would be a K-5, or diesel K-10 blazer with that Dana 70 on back, and a Dana 60 on front with something like 4.88 gears and OX lockers front and rear, with the Super Swamper TSL Boggers. I read the reveiw on those and I want those now!

Also, if I decide to sell, how much could I get for thea Dana 70 rear, with 4.10 gears?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Gm used the D70 in the rear of some of its 3500 series trucks. Dad had a 5500 series with a D80 in it. I am guessing it will hold up just as well as a 14FF.

3. avgjoe

avgjoe Registered Member

One of the big 4x4 magazines (I think Peterson's) once had their list of axles rated in order of strength. The Dana 70 was right above the 14b ff, but that's their opinion. i think if you get into something that'll break one it will probably break the other just the same.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it's equal to the 14bFF

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think that it is a very tough axle. My D70 has 1.5" diameter axleshafts with 35 splines. Its ring gear is 10.54". GM used it in very heavy duty applications instead of a 14 bolt. They are equal for all intents and purposes, but there are more versions of the D70, so know what you have. If you look on the housing for the numbers, or find the bill of materials tag, Randy's Ring and Pinion can help you identify it.