Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 70

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Dec 28, 2006.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

whos running them? what ratio are u running? pros and cons? D70 vs 14 bolt who wins?

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14 cause they are everywhere.....

3. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

i like the 14 because, they are everywhere and they have the removable pinion

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

D70HD, why? 5.86's. :D

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The search button wins hands down:rolleyes:

6. iwaxmyjimmy

man when i ran a search alll it picked up was "Dana" and it was all D44 and d60 threads.

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The FF 14 bolt and dana 70 are very similar. Same wheel bearings, same size ring gear, same size shafts, same housing thickness and diameter, etc. The 14 bolt has a 3rd pinion bearing and hence is a stronger ring and pinion setup (not that it probably matters much, they're both really strong). A detroit locker for a FF 14 bolt is ~$150 cheaper than the dana 70 version and you can pick up 14 bolts for next to nothing all day. The only real reason to run a 70 is if you want lower than 5.38 gears.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A drop-in Detroit for the 4-spider 70HD case is just as cheap.

I would think WIDTH is another motivator for the DRW 70's... they are ~72" stock, and can be made even wider with a hub swap.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Both are fantastic rear axles in my opinion .

I run a D70 because of the 5.86's and I already had a D/L for a 4-pinion case for a D70.
    As far as the 14FF being "stronger" due to the pilot pinion bearing that is questionable - it is just another way of supporting the pinion shaft . One design uses two larger ( similar equal size ) bearings that are very close together and use a third small pilot bearing to stabalize the shaft and the other design uses just two bearings that are positioned much farther apart and are very supportive by design ( the larger pinion bearings on "B" & H.D. D70's are IMPRESSIVE ). Stronger - no , just another way of supporting a shaft - both are very effective and long lasting designs.

Tom

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The D60 does share the same spline dimensions as the D70 and some versions use the same small ( outer ) pinion bearings - things get bigger on the 70 stuff at the other end of the pinion.
    Got to give credit to the boys at AAM ( or the division of GM at that time ) in the pinion shaft diameter on the 14FF - it is much fatter than what Dana used on the D70/60's.

So many variances of the D70's exist some lighter and some heavier - No 14FF is as heavy as a true H.D. D70 version . 4" diameter 1/2" wall tubes connected to a big ole chunk of nodular iron that is heavily ribbed just ain't that light.

Both axles have pro's and con's just depends on what flips your skirt or suits your needs.

Tom

12. iwaxmyjimmy

thanx everyone and the main thing im worried about is clearance and beefy. on that tech article it mentioned its only about a half to 3/4s of a inch less ground clearance than a D60 rear. so how much is that over the 14 bolt. it did mention something about shaving the D70. anyone done this??

13. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have no experience with a D70. But, given the two I'd run a 14 bolt. 14 bolt is way cheap, and it is so easy to work on. I wish GM woulda made a 10.5 14 bolt front, I'd run em front and rear if I could. I prolly haven't said anything that hasn't been said before....but there it is. Kevin

14. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

and iirc, a d70hd is as wide as a dually 60 front wms to wms...

15. iwaxmyjimmy

makes it easier to run H1 beadlocks then dont it?

16. Confedneck79K30

or HD rims...

17. iwaxmyjimmy

so how much clearance under the diff are we talkin about, like comparing 14 bolt to HD70?? or how much clearance does a 60 have over a 14 bolt and ill add 3/4s of an inch lol. also when it talks about shaving the 70 the guy mentions modifying the ring gear to clear the new piece welding on the diff. aint that kinda takin it to the extreme or is it as simple as throwing it on a lath and takin a lil off?

18. Confedneck79K30

wow, when you shave a 14bff you just grind the housing, that sounds pretty extreme to mod a ring gear, i dont know what kind of wheeling you do, but ground clearance is always a plus, i think a 70 hangs about a half inch lower...

19. iwaxmyjimmy

well im in eastern NC. we got alot of mud around here and all the chicks love to ride with u. but the local club here,http://www.nckrawlers.com/, goes to uwharrie, tellico, and corzet just to name a few. ive been to uwharrie but just as a co pilot. im scared to take my truck there b/c ima break something in the rear end just b/c 10bolts stuck and this is also my DD. i dont have a tow rig so ive gotta have something beefy, and pretty much perfect w/ miniumal maintance. i thought the D70 had a lil more clearance than the 14 bolt, but i now stand corrected. as for gears i dont plan on goin bigger than 42 TSLs. in yalls opinion what would be my best bet?? not gonna do rocks or mogs. i really wanted to do a HP 60 front w/ a Z71 T-case but if i can run the 70 then ima throw some deep gears in it like 5.89 or 6.17s.

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I believe you must do a little grinding. EDM would be the method of choice if you have one of them laying around. Gear steel is very hard and I don't believe any normal lathe tooling will work very well. To make things worse for the lathe it is an interupted cut which will wreak havoc on the tooling.