Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 70 ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, Jan 31, 2002.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Is anyone running a dana 70 front axle or know anyone that is? What are the pros and cons? I'm searching for a d-60 and I've run across a d-70 out of a Scout. Any info would help. What is the width of a K5's front axle? The d-70 is approx 69". Thanks!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I had a dana 70 front off of a 1970 Dodge Power Wagon. I should of left it on the power wagon. I could not drive the Blazer with it because of a death wobble in the steering. The mounting points were about a half inch wider than my Blazer which may be a contributor. The spring perch on the pumpkin side was about a half in skinnier than my spring pack too. I now a custom spring pack (ala Dremel) for that side.

Pros...
    Big ass ring gear = strong ring and pinion
    Huge axle tubes = a little lift and strong tubes
    Huge axles = very strong axles
    The axle itself costs less than a 60

Cons...
    Huge ring gear = less ground clearance
    Drum brakes
    closed knuckle
    Heavy as hell (about 700 lbs)
    The tie rod is behind the axle and bends under the drive shaft making it very difficult to put any kind of stabalizer on there and even harder to replace .If you have worn out tie rod ends you have to replace the whole thing because one end is built into the tie rod. (Although now that I finally have mine off I plan on playing with it to see if I can swap knuckles to get the tie rod in front where I can use a straight rod)

If you are looking for a dana 60 keep looking. The dana 70 is at least 150 lbs heavier. The 70 is actually weaker in the knuckle area because of the closed knuckle design. The drum brakes suck. It is very hard to get certain parts for and the parts you can find are expensive.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I am running a dana 70 axle,(or should say will be running building rig still) Mine was out of a dodge W-300, these axles can be good and bad, I by far am not an expert. I have been told there three basic types a large closed knuckle, a small closed knuckle, and a open knuckle. I have the large closed knuckle, converted to disc brakes w/ willwood 4 piston calipers. The ring gear on these axles is slightly larger than a 14 bolt, they are also hog's huge so you need alot of tire to get any ground clearance. another thing to look for is the splines in the hub the best as I have been told is the 32 spline fine splines. My axle is a fine 21(i think might be 22)spline. One thing to consider if you are price comparing is most 70's came with drum brakes, and the conversion can cost some money. The small closed knuckles have small steering u-joints, I have been told maintance needs to be done on a regular basis(more than a normal open knuckle axle) The main reason I bought mine was it was from a friend with the gears I wanted spring perchs already welded on, willwood 4 piston calipers, and matchin 14 bolt rearw/ detriot. I paid 1300 for my complete setup. to also include hemi joints croosover steering and 2 steering boxes. I would recomend a crossover setup for this axle

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by mudrunner78 on 01/31/02 05:25 PM.</FONT></P>

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hey I am very interseted in info on putting disk brakes on the 70 I have. Could you provide some more info on that conversion? I would greatly appreciate it.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

5. mudrunner78

I didn't do it but I will take some photo's for you and talk to my buddy for the info, the way you described the tir rod and stuff I was wondering if we even had the same axles. But I remember mine has the crossover, and GM disk brakes with the willwood 4 piston calipers.

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

6. mudrunner78

I didn't do it but I will take some photo's for you and talk to my buddy for the info, the way you described the tir rod and stuff I was wondering if we even had the same axles. But I remember mine has the crossover, and GM disk brakes with the willwood 4 piston calipers.

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty