Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 70

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by popafink, Dec 31, 2002.

1. popafink

popafink Registered Member

has anyone played with a dana 70 front axle i have one and want to know if it is strong it is closed knukle

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I had one too. Was from a early 70's Dodge. Closed-knuckle as well. 4.10 gears. Just sold it a couple of weeks ago.

It sure looked strong! Never ran it so I don't know for sure. It was missing the locking hubs. The guy I sold it to was going to do some machining to make Dana 50 (Ford TTB) stuff fit - which is essentially Dana 60 outers.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

They are plenty strong, but I think the rebuild parts cost a lot, and a closed knuckle is harder to rebuild than an open.
    If they are built right they are indestructible, but weigh even more than a D60 so...

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The problem with a closed knuckle Dana70 is.....that it is closed knuckle. They put dana44 sized axleshaft ujoints in there - seriously.
    The R&P will be unbreakabkle - D70 is equivalent to a 14 bolt FF, but the knuckles are crap.
    There are open knuckle D70 frotn axles out there - the only one I have ever seenw as in a picture in a Four Wheeler. I don't know what it came out of, but it was going under the front of a 4x4 motorhome.

Sorry, but the bottom line is that it is heavier than a D44, only stronger in the R&P (which is not USUALLY where they break) and the cost a lot of under pumpkin real estate.
    -- Mike

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no improvement over a 60 for our purposes.
    the above post using TTB 50 outers is a great idea for your 70f, these are common and not on the 'super desireable' list yet
    u2slo should probably not have let this outta the bag LOL
    try and size the tubes to fit the 35 spline 60f inners

6. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

there are two of the closed knuckle 70's out there one with a 44 joint the other is the same as the 60. I called wagoneer machine to see about having the tubes cut and open knuckles grafted on them, they told me the inner seal causes a large problem and the cost would be cheaper in the long run to run a 60. H0ope this helps