Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana axle swap (44 & 60 for 10 bolt)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Sep 17, 2003.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i will be doing an axle swap soon, a dana 60 in the rear, dana 44 up front (4.10 ratio). anything i should know about? i read the caliper grind article for the d60. i am still new at all this so your knowledge is appreciated.
    oh yeah, it's going on an '88 k5 T700 r4 (just got the 8 lug ghetto steel junk yard rims)
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why D60 rear?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Here's the back story on this one, I've been helping Sean out a bit via PMs. He's been looking for a set of 3/4 ton axles with 4.10s and came across what was supposed to be a D44/14b combo, but turned out to be a 60 instead of a 14 bolt. I know that some people might prefer a 60 to a 14 bolt because of clearance issues so I suggested that he post to get some opinions on it.

My opinion - The 44/60 combo would work fine, the benefit of the 60 is that it has much better clearance than the 14 bolt. You can also get selectable lockers for the 60, which aren't available for a 14 bolt. The 14 bolt is stronger and much cheaper to put a regular locker in if that's what you want to do. If it were me, I would probably hold out for a 14 bolt/D44 combo only because the inexpensive locker is important to me and I don't care about a selectable rear. If I was using the truck as a DD then I might lean more towards the rear 60 so I could run an ARB. If you aren't planning on locking the axles then none of this matters to you.

I guess it sould really come down to whether or not the axles aree a good deal. $500 would be a pretty fair price in the Bay Area IF they are in bolt in condition. If they need to be rebuilt then I would walk on the deal, it's just going to be too much. If the rear is a semifloater then I'd walk, a fullfloater is a must, and also make sure that you are aware of whether or not the axles will bolt in. If they are Dodge axles (D44/D60 was a common combo in Dodges) then they will not bolt in smoothly and you might want to hold out for a 14b/D44 combo.

Hope this helps.

Footnote - Sean is a real cool guy, a newbie to K5s but eager to learn. He gets the Shaggy seal 'o approval for a quality CK5er, so please chime in with your opinions and help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't pay over $300 for some 3/4 tons. Use any FF rear you want, just be prepared to make it fit if it's not from a Chevy or its from something that won't fit in our trucks (van, 1 ton, etc.)

5. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Howdy,
    I offered these to Sean, in various packages. He's coming to my house for the install, where I am going to put these in for him. They're from running trucks and I will do the labour to repair any problems. However, we're probably going to do seals, ball joints, brakes and bearings on everything, even if it's not needed. It's cheap insurance for tomorrow. Again, no charge on the labour, all he has to cover is parts and the occasional beer. I thought it was a fair deal.
    Originally, I offered him a 44 and 12 bolt with 3.73's. I have various axles kicking around. He mentioned that he wanted 3/4 ton, (not sure it's needed with 33's or 35's). I had a Chevy 44 front 8 lugger and found a matching rear from a Dodge. I'll be moving the spring pads for the fit. The original 14B I had from the truck is trashed. We talked about doing a disk brake swap in the rear and a few other upgrades but I think we're staying stock 3/4 ton now.

It's obviously his choice, I think I am being more than fair and thought I was helping out a fellow wheeler???

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I think it's a fair deal too, especially if you're doing the install for him, $500 is the going rate for 3/4 ton axles in this area. Sorry if I came off like I didn't think it was a fair deal.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

grendel, it sounds like you have offered quite a fair deal. $500 for 2 axles and installation is a far cry from what it would cost at a shop. It sounds like everyone will come out pretty well when everything is said and done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

I am no shop, that's for certain! Just had a bit of experience building various vehicles and I have the tools. If a certain vendor would get off their ass and send me my air compressor!

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is the combo I am piecing together (slowly) for my Suburban. $500 for both and help with installation is a swinging deal. I paid that for my front axle alone, w/ newer 4.56 gears and a Power lock, new ball joints etc.

If that axle is from a Dodge, then check out the axle tubes if it has the spring hanger underneath. This may be pitted pretty bad and might need to be welded up. The spring perches and the shock mounts will need to be relocated also.

I think the Dodge version will be wider than my 66" WMS, which would be a bonus too. (I will run some spacers here, Listening TONYP?)

I am also converting the rear end to a disc set up, which can be done just as cheaply as a 14FF. I got the rear axle for a heck of a deal, 4.56's and a Power Lock, plus I like the extra options that come with a Dana axle - like more gears and various locker choices.

There is nothing wrong with what you are contemplating, to bad a little deeper gear couldn't be had from the get go....

Any more questions, feel free to PM me, and I will try and answer some of your questions...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Why not???? They lived behind a Hemi didn't they????

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

around here you can pick up 14 bolt full floaters for 125.00-200.00 all day.I dont know about the dana 60 rear but on the 14 it is real easy to convert to disk brakes.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not???? They lived behind a Hemi didn't they????

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm going to quoush that statement once and for all.

All the power in the world won't break anything without traction. I could have a 1000 CID monster motor in a Camaro or something, and all it'd do would be spin the tires. On the street, traction is pretty constant, you're not going to be bouncing and all the sudden catch traction like in a truck when you go four wheeling.

In a truck, even a 350 with all the low gears we use seems powerful at the axles. That is compounded by the large, heavy tires we run that are much bigger/heavier than any car would run. Case in point, I absolutely destroyed my right front axle shaft a few weeks ago and I wasn't even in the lowest gear that I've got. A 297 isn't the strongest joint in the world, but still...I wasn't really beating on it near as hard as I could have been, and the wheel wasn't cranked that far.

So, keep that in mind the next time someone says something about a part holding up in a car. Our uses are far different. No car really needs a full floating axle, it's just not necessary. Our trucks on the other hand definitely do.

That said, my comment about, "Why a D60 rear" had nothing to do with strength. A full floating '60 is more than strong enough for most of our uses for the rear. It's just that a 14 bolt full floater bolts in, is easy to find, and cheap. That's the only reason I even questioned it.

13. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Generic answers:

Anyhow, I think it's a fair deal and a D60 will be more than adequate for his needs, that he posted originally. I see this as an intermediate step that has lots of options.

If he decides to go big later, and I mean bigger than 40's, he can look at different axleshafts for the rear, a locker and a D-60 front. BTW, this 60 rear may already be 35 spline. It's not unheard of in the late 80 Dodge diesels.

It's also what I have on hand when he asked for 3/4 ton. I am not a shop. There are junkyards nearby, if he can find a 14b that matches, I'll install whatever he wants. I wasn't trying to make money.

BTW, buy a D-44 (8 lug) and a Corp 14 bolt, out of running trucks, installed for 500.00??? I'll take 40 at that price.

For those that are saying 14B or die, the 14b does have it's limitations. Limited gear selection (5.13 max), weight (122lbs heavier than a 60), mass (1.25" lower), etc. Yes, it's a stouter unit but may not be needed in this application.

So, yeah. I am installing it at that price.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Sean, We talked on the phone one day. I thought you were going to go 1/2 ton and 33's? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

--------------------
    85K5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nah, the '60 is fine. No need to upgrade it. It's already plenty strong for what he'll probably use for it. The only reason I'd suggest something else is that its easier. If you have no problem moving spring pads/shock mounts etc, it's not a big deal at all.

The comment about the hemi and stuff I just wanted to end that right there. What works in a car doesn't work in a 4wd truck necessarily. That's a bad thought process to use.

If we all thought that way, we'd have Ford 9" rears in our trucks, and we all know that a semi-floating 9" wouldn't last long in a truck with big tires if we were gonna really beat on it.

In short, what works in a car won't necessarily work in a truck, but in this case, that '60 will be FINE.

16. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Well, I can weld and grind with the mediocre of them. I'd say best, but I've seen some damn fine welders. Granted my crap won't break and I've got both MIG and stick welders. So, should be fine.

17. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

well,
    i think it is a fine deal. i am new to this and the d/60 should serve my purposes. if not i can always upgrade later on. so. . .that said, i am very thankful for grendel offering to help install as well as sell the axles. i need all the help i can get. he is the man, and i have heard nothing but good things about him. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    sean

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You will be happy with it....It's nice to have people around that can help you get started, now if he'll let you do most of the work, guiding you through the process amd coaching you a bit, you will put in the next one....

Good luck Kelly