Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana ring and pinion ratio identification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I did a search and all I could find was recommendations on counting teeth. Is there any way to determine ratio based upon what is written on the ring? Mine has 11 30 79 DANA 30316 B3R12 419 It is supposed to be a 4.56 but I want to confirm it.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

counting teeth is the method I find best. Its not hard just count the ring teeth, then count the pinion teeth, then divide the ring teeth by the pinion teeth. In my case, 41 ring gear teeth and 15 pinion teeth, 2.73 gears.

3. Desert Rat

41 ring teeth, 9 pinion. So I guess I do have a 4.56. That's good news.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sure is, probably getting a set of 1 ton gm axles with 4.56s myself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif can't wait.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you can also take the last 3 digits of the ring code. 419= 41 ring teeth, 9 pinon teeth.

-Rich

6. Desert Rat

That would've been a lot easier (slaps forehead) I bought it today from dysphemism. I did get a surprise when a ton of water poured out of the pumpkin. Fortunately it looks like it wasn't in there too long and I think I can clean it up just fine. I put some pics of my recent purchase at http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant in the Dana 60 project section. I plan on sandblasting all of the various parts as I break it down and then painting everything with POR-15. The axles are good but I still might replace them anyway since the inners are necked down and the outers are 30 spline. A good excuse to replace the entire set. Dysphemism had the one side redone and it looks quite good but it may go anyway. I'll be updating the pics as it goes along.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The axle that was redone, I did that axle for Evan. Anyway, the 11 stands for november, the 30 is the day of the month, and the 79 is the year 1979. So that axle is from a november of 1979 which usually makes it a 1980 model. Anything after the 9th month is considered the next year model.

8. Desert Rat

What did you do to make it so clean? It almost looks media blasted. I'm really torn on whether or not I should go with the 35 spline outers since the axle needs new hubs anyway. I'd hate to get new Warn hubs, then later do the 35 spline upgrade and get hubs again.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Desert Rat, Put a set of drive slugs in it for now and buy the hubs when you upgrade to 35 spline outers.

10. Desert Rat

If I was going to drive it in the near future, I might just do that. However, It is about a year or more away from seeing the dirt. I've got the Corp14ff almost done, the frame is done, and now I have the D60 to do. But then I still have to get a crate motor, a new tranny, build the TC doubler setup and install it, get a new gas tank, do the crossover steering and all the other stuff on the chassis. Then after that comes the body project. Of course I need to rob a bank at some point too....

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Of course I need to rob a bank at some point too....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DR you shouldn't even joke like that, you never know when big brother is watching. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Desert Rat

They're always watching........ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif