Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana Trac-Lok, gimme your thoughts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I found a Dana Trac-Lok locally for around $100. Is this a decent unit and will it hold up to 35" tires and some crawling. I know they are rebuildable which makes this a good option and they would probably be more drivable on trails. Does anybody have a picture of this unit? Is it a gear type or clutch type locker? Is it even considered a locker or LSD?

Thanks,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your money. Rebuilt or new they're good for 5-10,000 miles, after that you got an open diff. Save some more money and get something effective.

ken

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

While a Trac-Lok is better than an open diff, they are generally considered one of the less effective limited slips (or least aggressive) on the market. They were designed for smooth street operation and little extra traction in wet grass or snow. I have seen a newer Dodge Ram with 15,000 miles and a factory Trac-Lok that would deliver absolutely no power to the ground when one of the full floating axle shafts was removed (same as having one tire in the air).
    But again, if it's a choice between either the Trac-Lok or an open diff it will help.

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I would save up until you can get a Detroit and get it done right the first time. I am firmly in the "build something once" camp, so take it for what it's worth!