Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana44 1/2 to 8 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mean77, Mar 5, 2002.

1. mean77

mean77 Registered Member

I was wondering if I can convert my 6 lug dana44 to 8 lug using parts off of a 3/4 ton dana 44. I have a 77 chevy with a corporate 14 bolt rear and dana 44 1/2ton front and want to convert for tire rotation purposes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You should. I did it on a 10 bolt and I think the D44's are the same way.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Yep, the 8-lug parts will swap right over. You may even be able to get away with just the rotor?

For the life of me, I can't remember if the spindles are different between the 1/2 and 3/4 D44s. Hopefully, someone esle can answer this one for you.

Thomas.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are actually TWO types of spindles on the 8-Lug stuff.....Wes (ThatK30Guy) called them 1st Design, and 2nd Design.....

For the life of me, I can't find the writeup he did.....but it's a good technical explanation of the conversion process and exactly what all the differences are.

You might try PM'ing him or ask about the writeup on the '73-'91 Board.....I'm sure he'd point you to the link.

5. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken, this article in the tech section should explain everything.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml</a>

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you need the backing plates too...and yeah there are two designs...i think its like 78 and newer were the second and the older were the first...i dont know for sure, its getting late...

Later