Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana44 Axle side to side sway?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Question - Does someone make a bracket, brace or an arm or something that would bolt to the say, the frame to the front axle that would prevent it from shifting from side to side? My Dana44 w/35's on a 4" lift seems to be moving slightly from side to side when i'm turning. I've got the ORD brace and all new bushings but the eaxle is flexing horizontilly which gives basically an uneasy feeling when you turn the wheel, still go kind of straight until the axle returns to normal position and then she tends to hook in the direction you were turning. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Jersey
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Len1313

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Like a swaybar?? Didn't your truck have one originally?

John

3. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

I've got the sway bar dropped and connected and it does it's purpose. It doesn't really limit the axle side to side flex. What's happening is when i cut the wheel, force is applied to the axle in the opposite direction, the springs are flexing to that side a little before the frame/body catches up, and once it does, it causes a jerking motion. Swaybar mostly limits up/down sway. It may hold the axle side to side motion a little but not enough to hold a Dana44 on 35's. There's got to be something out there that's made to limit this motion. Thanks for your quick reply. Appreciate it much. Any other ideas?

- Jersey

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

isn't that what a panhard bar is for? it drops down from the frame and connects the top of the axle (perpendicular to the vehicle.

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

YES...

I couldn;t think of the name...Panhard bar. Thanks txbluethunder. Does anyone make one for our K5's and if so, anyone use one? Wonder if this would also help the death wobble some of the guys have on this board. Steering stabilizer would help DW but it just hides it. Thanks for the info.

- Jersey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: YES...

Yes what you want is the Panhard bar, GM straight axles never had them, no aftermarket I know of has thought about them.
    Some Jeeps had them from factory because their springs were narrower.
    Now when you lift it and put big tires, you are right there is a slight side movement, but it's usually not enough to be concerned.
    Now if you want the corner carving capability, then you will have to make your custom panhard bar.

7. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks imiceman44. I'm surprised that it seems i'm the only one having this problem. It's just a slightly uncomfortable feeling, when just tooling around town, when you cut the wheel, it seems not to respond, then keeping the same cut on the wheel, she'll jerk in the direction you wanted. It also seems that at highway speeds, it's not as noticable. This is the only thing i could think is happening - axle shift. Also, the steering is soooo light i can turn her, standing still, with my pinky finger. My 90 K2500 pickup, granted it's IFS, has some good resistance to it and gives a much better feel. The K5 steering is just way too light. My K5 is a '91 and maybe i have a different set-up (box ratio or something) than most because this was the last year they made them. Maybe they were trying something new. I mean, how many other K5's have power side mirrors??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif LOL. Thanks again.

- Jersey

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 and ever since the 4" lift it's been squirly as hell. Pulls to the right, bump steer, insane brake pull. If you have any ideas about that let me know. The alignment shop had it for 3 months and they replaced the front springs and every brake part on the truck. I pulled the rear blocks and put in a set of pro comp lift springs.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not just you, but every one else tolerates it.
    I got used to driving it, I give it a small jerk just before the curve to load it then I am ready for a curve.
    I have looked at the frame with someone turning the wheels back and forth, the frame actually shifts from side to side, and the springs flex sideways just a hint, because now they're not flat but in an arc, and that makes them pivot on the axis of the spring ends.
    2 things you can do, stiffen the frame with a diagonal bar, or an X frame reinforcement, and then put a panhard bar.
    This should make it precise, and all you have left that could give you that spongy feeling is the height of you tire's sidewall, they tend to flex.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

I do the same thing and have tolerated it. The only thing that really got me is that a few days back, i needed to make a sudden direction change because of a woman on her cell phone (nothing against women) thought she owned the road and decided to drift into my lane and as i jerked it one way then had to compansate the other...well, lets just say i didn't feel in as much control as i would've liked to have been. I think your suggestions are on about strenthening up the frame and then adding a panhard bar. I do have the ORD steering brace which seemed to help a bunch, but just not enough of how i want it. I'm running 35x12.50x16.5's so i know the sidewalls aren't causing my my problem but could be an additional factor on others running 35's or larger on 15" rims. Thanks again for the insight imiceman.

- Jersey