Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana44 gears... 10 bolt housing??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I am having trouble with my drivers side balljoint. I think the upper hole in the axle side is rounded out, and I cant get a new balljoint to last in it. I got a couple questions...
    1. I am planning to buy a Tru Trac for the front... I believe it serves as the new carrier so I will have to set up the gears... can I get another housing and use my current gears in it with the TruTrac as the new carrier and set it up?
    2. If I cant find a Dana44 housing, can I get a 10 bolt housing and transfer the guts from my Dana into it with the TruTrac? Including the knuckles from the balljoints out?
    3. Is this the way to go? Or is it possible to replace the tube from the pumpkin out? Or just the end?

Thanks...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No. The axle lengths are different, gears are different, and the carriers are different. The only thing they sare are equal in strenth and bith have 8.5 ring gears

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You really shouldn't have a problem getting a D44 housing cheap. If you were nearby I could probably get you one for free.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles