Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana44? ID check

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinNewbie, Oct 16, 2001.

1. BlazinNewbie

BlazinNewbie Registered Member

I've got a question...

I'm looking at what is supposed to be a Dana 44 in a 74 K5 front axle. There is no ID marks on the coverplate. Where else can I look for an ID tag? Also, I noticed that there was a little amount of rust on the top side of the gears where the gears were not sitting in gear oil. (Axle was sitting a long time in father's yard) Are these gears still okay to use or not? I was planning on just swapping gears from my GM 10 bolt.

Me? Pull over? Nah...

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Dana 44 should have a "44" cast into the differential housing somewhere. You might have to clean some rust and dirt off to find it.

Concerning the rust on the gears it kindof depends. Since it is a front axle you will probably have very few actual miles in 4 wheel drive, so very minor surface rust MAY be okay.....

BTW, the 10-bolt and 44 gears are not interchangeable if that was what you were thinking.

3. BlazinNewbie

BlazinNewbie Registered Member

Actually, I was thinking of a straight axle swap since this axle was supposed to have a Dana 44, a step up from my corp 10 bolt. But, when I saw the rust and couldn't find a 44 anywhere on the housing, I started wondering if I had gotten a litttle ahead of myself.

Me? Pull over? Nah...

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

on my 74 the 44 marking is on the back-topish-passenger- side of the housing near where to the shaft connects to the housing.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The D44 is no stronger than a 10 bolt. The only upgrades that can be made are aftermarket axle shafts, and lockers or stepping up to a D60 front.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>