Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana60 FF over 14 bolt FF ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Feb 28, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just curious why no one ever looks for dana60 FF instead of a 14 bolt FF, both can be found just as easily(except the Sf dana60 axles)- are dana60 FF even desirable ? reason i ask is cuz i have line an another dana60 FF from a 68 camper 20, thought id get all the comments/suggestions/thoughts that i could

-Randy

run it til it breaks, fix it, and break it again!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would guess the 14 is much more abundant and generally cheeper parts and carriers? I have a D60SF in the back of my rig and I like the clearance and lighter weight over the 14bolt.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, Burt said it.

The 14FF is cheaper, and will also bolt right in place of the 1/2 ton axles, if you find a 3/4 ton 14FF.

Most chances with finding a D60 for the rear use will require the modifications to the spring perches and shock mounts to fit the Blazer.

14FF's are also stronger than a D60. The 14FF is more comparable in strength to the D70 rear.
    IMO, the 14FF can and still would be stronger than a D70 because it uses a roller bearing on the pinion snout. Much like a Ford 9" rear.

The only drawback to owning a 14FF and gear ratio selections is the fact the lowest ratio available for the 14FF is 5.13.
    D60's and D70's can go way down to 7.17. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting, learnign new info is good

run it til it breaks, fix it, and break it again!

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can also get a spool or a ARB for a d60. I am going to weld up my 14ff till someone comes out w/ a spool.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wy don't you put a detroit in the 14ff??????????????

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

7. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I had welded diff in my old jeep and it was 100 percent better then having an auto locker. Both wheels always spinning NO MATTER WHAT and it was smooth when you stomped on the gas.....none of this clunking stuff...but my jeep what strickly for off road use and a welded could get tiring if used on pavement to often. Just my opinion.

then i sold it and bought "The Love Shack"[​IMG]

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My Blazer is a trail rig only, I am going to install a driveshaft e-brake and don't want the slack in the driveline, and I am cheep (yes...too cheep to buy a $300 detroit).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

*raises hand* cheap here also, wont see me buying any axle locker or posi units unelss theyre for a damn good bargain !

lol

10. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Actually, the 14FF IS stronger than the D60 AND cheaper. As for myself I've never regretted the $ for the Detroit locker, just wish I'd found an open rearend first. Ordered the Detroit THEN found out it needed an open carrier. That cost drove the project beyond what I had planned. (Didn't matter though, after the install my wife [EX] cleaned out the bank accounts and split so at least I've still got the Detroit!) The locker is more reliable and hasn't cost me a dime since...and replacing EX was even easier than the locker install! Good trade!

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol ! again, remind me to remain a bachelor, heh

thanks

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

may get a lil more ground clearance with a D60 vs a ff14b... but in every other catagory of comparison the ff14b wins. Its one of the best off-road axles ever IMO. Can't wait to install my NEW/crated one when I go 1-ton!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well then i suppose they shoulda made a 14 bolt FF front axle then if theyre so hot, ive never heard of a dana60 breaking..i think theyre not so popular because they are harder to find, is all...

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Somebody DID make a "FRONT" 14BFF......!

I think it was Wagoner Machine....there was a link to it somewhere a while back.

I suppose that's what happens when your own a killer "fab shop" and things are a little slow in the shop.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the d60 *is* tough, but the ff14b is still stronger. Get one cheap, shave it a little, and ROLL. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

16. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have a D60 rear from a '79 Furd F250. It was before I knew much about axles. All I knew was that it was full floating and cheap. I had to move spring perches, not only b/c it was a Furd axle, but b/c I have a 2WD coil-spring frame. I love the ground clearance and the fact that it matches my front diff. I also like the fact that if I can clear an obstacle with my front diff, then I can clear it with my rear. They are made for each other, LOL. The 14FF is definitely stronger, but the only strength related thing you might notice is the axleshafts. You won't break the diff. My axle is 30 spline and I have broken one shaft, but not offroad. I was trying to powerbrake on dry pavement in low range. Man, what was I thinking? Now, I carry a spare. If I ever go with 44's, I might upgrade it to 35 spline with a kit from Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion. The D60 from the '68 truck you're looking at most likely has 17 spline axleshafts. It depends on your motor, tires, and right foot as to whether it would hold up. Hope this helps.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

17 spline, huh ? not any dana 60s,they are 30 and 35 only
    the really old 44s and other smaller dana axles maybe 17 spline or whatever, yeah
    actually mine is a 35 spline full floater 4.10 out from under a 68 custom camper,

so you got a 4x4 with 2wd rear suspension ? heh you could easily swap to leaf rear if you can find a donor truck, good luck !

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Some of the older Dana 60 rears had 16 spline axles. Needless to say they aren't very desireable. The Dana 60 that I snagged out of the rear of a 67 GMC C20 has 30 spline axles and a 10 spline pinion instead of 29 like the later 60's.

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

odd, all i can find listings for are 30 and 35, the smaller shaft oens must be very uncommon, heh

thanks

20. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Actually, you will probably not break a Dana 60 with reasonable driving and tire sizes. Yes, the 14FF is heavier but thats the trade-off for the increased ring gear size, the larger axles and the HD extras like the pinion snout bearing. All the stuff that makes it a stronger axle but if you have a D60 why change. It'll do just fine. As for groung clearence, unless your into some really serious stuff it isn't the big issue some like to make it out to be. I call it " magazine mania" since most people read that stuff in a magazine and it becomes gospel to (them even though most never even go off-road in the first place.) My opinion. Gary