Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana60 king pin/knuckle removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy, Dec 15, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

***Search Done***

After close inspection of my d60, i realized that i am most likely going to need to replace all of the bearings(carrier, outers, and pinion) along with the seals. Getting the parts and the person to do it is not a problem. The guy that will do it only knows about carrier and pinion bearings unfourtuanly. So this means that I will be doing the outers, which I am not afraid to do. I know that the spindles and axles have to come off, but do the knuckles have to come off entirely to have enough access? If so...do both the upper and lower kingpins need to be removed. Are the uppers a press in or are they threaded in? I did a search and found that the kingpins require 600ft/lbt so I assume they are threaded in.

Also, is there a seal that goes between the upper part on the knuckle and the housing that holds in greese? I asume so but mine doesn't. With the cap,spring,bushing off, I can move the knuckle around and see daylight. Hard to tell if greese can get passed the bushing or not.

sorry to be long winded but I am looking for some insight.
    Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You do not have to remove the knuckle to remove the axles, only the spindle. The axles will slide through the opening in the knuckle.

3. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I know that you dont have to remove the knuckle to get the axle. I want to know ifyou need to remove the knuckle to replace the outer bearings. Also if there is a grease seal between the knuckle and housing.