Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana60 rear conversion ujoint and ubolt and size question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Dec 7, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Whats the conversion ujoint for 10bolt to Dana60 rear?
    Also what size u-bolts and plates do I need for the dana60 rear?

OH is the nose on the 60 longer than the 10bolt (for driveshaft length reasons), whats the WMS/WMS width, and finally will the spring perches need moved?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mine has the 42.5" spring perches, no moving. (shock mounts needed moved though)

Axle tube dia is 3", spring plates should work.

Not sure on the U joint or the length of the snout. I can get these for you though.

Is it from a GM, Furd, or what?

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I thinks its from a early to mid 80's GM

Glad to hear most of the stuff will go back with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    What about WMS-to-WMS? Wider than a 10bolt?

Anyone have a conversion ujoint or spring plate mount comment?

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thinks its from a early to mid 80's GM

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, GM quit using Dana 60 rears at the end of the '72 model year. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Furd & Dudge continued to use them for a long time after that. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

The GM D60 rears have the same axle tube(3") and axle shaft(1.31, 30 spline) diameter as the 10(some) & 12 bolt.

IIRC, the D60 rear that I had, that SUBFAN now has, had a WMS spacing of 67". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

WMS equals 66"....I am going to run spacers, if I ever get the thing installed....

The spring plates from the 10b will work for ya....

Very good chance it has a Power Lock installed....Let me know if you need an open carrier with 4.10's attached /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The Furd housing I had was the same WMS, 3" tubes also....The spring perches and shock mounts will need to be moved.

An interesting thing about 'that' Furd housing, was the fact that the bearings appeared to be larger on the spindle end. The axles are not interchangeable, as the bolt circle on the Furd is a bit larger. The lengths were very close. Same spline counts.

Anything else?