Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana60 steering arms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGF, Jul 7, 2001.

1. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at D-60 steering arms from GM,Dodge,and Ford, I think the Dodge would workout great but the draglink taper is going the wrong way to use it on the GM 60 and gain any height.I have seen a post on this site awhile back about the Dodge arm on the GM after retapering but cant remember who it was?
    You cant just turn it over and retaper it because you will end up with a large hole there and only have half the contact! Looking for some input on this, anybody used the Dodge arm?
    The GM D-60 arm drops down, the Dodge arm kicks up and the Ford comes straight out but is way to long.Thought about shortening the Ford arm and tapering but wouldnt gain much so the Dodge would be the best one to use with a short lift( 2"EZ ride+D-60=3" )
    I know they sell a 3" block for the D-60 but dont want to spend $100. on a chuck of iron when I might be able to use something I all ready have.
    RGF

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

How about calling someone like Dynatrac to see if you can ship it to them and they could do something to make it work properly? I would imagine they could either weld up the taper in it and redrill it so it fits like the Chevys do.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

3. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I could probably weld on it and have it retapered locally, was hoping that someone would have the full scoop on it thats all.
    RGF

4. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

The dodge arm uses a smaller taper,I had mine retapered for a chevy draglink from the opposite side, the draglink end goes in a little deeper than I liked and also ate up the dust boot, I ended up welding it up and tapering again, now it works great but I am going to crossover steering pretty soon. Heres a link to some of the pics [ this was before retapering the second time, notice no dustboot.<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1292143&a=9630863>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1292143&a=9630863</A>

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CST-30 on 07/07/01 10:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What years of Dodges are those steering arms available?

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

6. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

I got mine out of a salvage yard and the guy said it was from an 85, but from what I've seen all years of Dodges with dana 60s used this same arm.

87 K-5 stock

7. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Now thats what I was looking for, Thanks man! So I take it you just retapered the arm the first time with no welding and thats why it was to deep? What kind of rod did you use to build it up with?
    RGF

8. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

Just used standard .035 mild steel wire and straight argon.

87 K-5 stock