Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana60HD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any info on what the difference it between a Dana60 rear and a Dana60HD rear?

And can a Dana60HD be used on a blazer?

I'm looking into this because I wanted to step up to the D60/14bolt combo with ARB lockers. I had a locker that fitted the 14bolter (Some guy built it) but that one exploded under my Dualy. (Guess he didn't built it that good). ARB does not build a locker for the 14bolt ff, but does built it for the D60 and D60HD.

Also on this page <a target="_blank" href=http://www.arb.com.au/ALAC/International/Chevy_GMC.htm>http://www.arb.com.au/ALAC/International/Chevy_GMC.htm</a> there are Dana70's. Never heard of them. Usable?

Thanks in advance.

1988 K5 Blazer Silverado Grand GT in the Netherlands. "No it does not fit everywhere overhere, but after one pass through it will fit the next time"

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Not sure on the 60 and 60 HD, but yes there are D70's and D80's! I think they even go up from there!!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

But do those fit in the rear of a K5?

1988 K5 Blazer Silverado Grand GT in the Netherlands. "No it does not fit everywhere overhere, but after one pass through it will fit the next time"

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Some 3/4 ton, single rear wheel Dodge 4x4's(93+) came with a Hybrid D80. It is a D80 center section with D70 axle tubes and shafts. These could possibly be swapped in, but you may need to move the spring perches and shock mounts.

D70's could also be foudn under some Ford vans, Ford trucks and Dodge trucks.. Those could possibly be swapped in, but may also need to have the spring perches and shock mounts relocated!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I found a 3/4 ton dodge that I could get the axles real cheap.
    I went to the dodge forum at pirate 4x4 and asked those guys about them.
    From what they were telling me the D60 FF is about the same strength wise as a corprate 12 bolt.
    They can be made to be as strong as a 14FF for about $1300
    Last months 4WOR did an article on that.
    They bored out the axle tubes and then used 35 spline 1.5" axle shafts.
    Hope that helps some.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dana 115 are under semi's. they are cool. but WAY to big for us to use...
    they use dana 80's in some monster trucks.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Supposedly the 60HD has 35 spline axles already and are as strong as a 14 where a regular 60 has 30 spline and is same as a 12 bolt.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That could be true. I know next to nothing about D60's.
    But if that is the case why would those guys spend that kind of money on an axle upgrade when they could prolly get one like that for half the price of what it took to do that to that axle?
    I dunno I am happy with the 14 bolt that I picked up.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

9. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

I used a dana 70 duallyyy diff in my 80K5...rewelded perches ....wicked!!!!!

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I think the HD 60s are 35 spline.

11. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

GM used D70's in dual wheel drive trucks in the 80's and I'm told into the early 90's as well. Something to do with GVW rating of the trucks being higher than the 14BFF would handle.
    For all practical purposes, Dana 70 would be an option in a K5 if the 14BFF wasn't available. Dodge has used D60 fronts and D70 rears for some time in their 1 tons.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!