Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dang carb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Aug 2, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

alright, time for a new carb...edelbrock probably...but heres the question...which size do i get? i have edel. intake, dynomax headers, hopefully soon new cam and all the inner works.. but which size (cfm) will give me the most of power, tourque, responce and most importantly MPG, but im mostly concerned with the responce on the low end and mpg...so any suggestions will help...thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

650 cfm. I may not be a fan of Edelcrap, but I would think 650 cfm would be good for a small block assuming thats what ya got. BTW, I ran a 650 cfm Holley on a majorly built 383 stroker in a 73 Camaro, and it was pleanty.

3. jacked_86chevyk10

thanks man, if all yall guys dont like edelbrock who else should i go for, demon? or what? thanks

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks man, if all yall guys dont like edelbrock who else should i go for, demon? or what? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]Most of the guys and gals around here do like Edelcrap, I'm one of the few who doesn't. In all honesty, a Q-jet is hard too beat for off roading.

5. jacked_86chevyk10

to be honest with you, this is a pavement pounder truck...1/2 tons with big meats....(basically my truck to drive everyday to college, i have a k5 mudder but thats not the point) this carb is gonna be for the road truck...sbc 350 i jus want the best combo of power and mpg...thanks

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    to be honest with you, this is a pavement pounder truck...1/2 tons with big meats....(basically my truck to drive everyday to college, i have a k5 mudder but thats not the point) this carb is gonna be for the road truck...sbc 350 i jus want the best combo of power and mpg...thanks

[/ QUOTE ]In that case, Demon carb, Road Demon 625 cfm. Clicky That's what I would choose.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i jus want the best combo of power and mpg...thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get a Quadrajet from Jet , I-5 , Edelbrock , The Carb Shop . Smaller primaries for economy , big secondaries for when you those BIG street meats to puke out your axles and pinion bearings . Makes my 305 feel like more than it is /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    i jus want the best combo of power and mpg...thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Then get a Quadrajet from Jet , I-5 , Edelbrock , The Carb Shop . Smaller primaries for economy , big secondaries for when you those BIG street meats to puke out your axles and pinion bearings . Makes my 305 feel like more than it is /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I think he has a squarebore intake manifold.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I think he has a squarebore intake manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he could get the adapter for square to spread , which is a little taller and works like a spacer anyway . Or if its a performer , it would have both patterns drilled /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I second the Demon. Awesome street performance carb.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont know much about the new carbs like demons,I have mostly had carter AFB's and the edlebrock clones they now make--if you want the best mileage,smaller CFM carbs are available,like the 390 CFM Holley carb,and edlebrock and carter make a 500 CFM version of their 4 barrel carbs--and the smaller size barrels keep the velocity of the fuel moving more quickly,improves low end tourque,and avoids bogging.But if you have a big cam,higher than stock compression,and headers,you may have to use a bigger jetting,or even a bigger carb to avoid it running too lean,lean is good for mileage but you cant let it go too lean or valves can burn and pistons can melt.I ran a 450 CFM on a 74 454 years ago,one of those "Economaster"carbs--I had nothing else hanging around the shop,so I threw it on just to get me to work till I could buy a better carb--but I was suprised how much better it ran than it did with a 600 Holley that was on fire most of its life--I got 15mpg with it,and the 4 barrel would put you back in the seat.Everyone said I'd burn the valves,but I ran it back and forth to NH and VT many times,no real problems,it would ping in the mountains if you ran regular,but nothing premium gas didnt quiet.I think a lot of engines are over-carburated,even from the factory(at least the CFM of the 4 barells)Sometimes LESS is more! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif