Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dang clutch! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Aug 4, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Clutch went last night about 2 miles from the house. Luckily I was able to limp hope in 2nd gear. From the movement of the shift fork and the telltale signs before the failure, my guess is the throw-out bearing.

Question for you guys, my plan is to pull the 208 and 465 as one unit from the rig (disconnect, slide back, and lower). Then I can get into the clutch housing, figure out the problem, fix it and reassemble it. Then raise the tranny/tcase back up, slide it back together and all is done.

Does this sound like the best approach? Or should I drop the 465 and the 208 separately? How much does the 465 weigh? I have handled a 208 before, they aren't bad. I haven't handled a 465, but could it be any heavier than my 205 I dealt with in my Jimmy?

Thoughts?

*see later post for update*

2. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

Re: Dang clutch!

208 is about 80 pounds, no big deal. the 465 you'll need another person and a floor jack to do it safley.i just put one in 2 days ago and it probally weight about 200 pounds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I definitely plan to use a floor jack. Even have a special built platform to get my floor jack closer to everything. Had to do that back when I installed teh 205 in my Jimmy. My regular floor jack wouldn't lift it high enough to reach! Guess when you can sit up under your rig, those are the kind of problems you sometimes run into!

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Sorry to hear your problem, I know how you feel. My K10 clutch bit the big one yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I pulled the 208 out this morning, I recommend you take the t-case off the tranny. The tranny is awkward and heavy (200 lb or better) enough......My .02

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

how hard would it be to pull the tranny hump off and use a cherry picker? The clutch is my 85 is very close to not letting me move at all /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Well, decided to drop the tcase and tranny separate considering I was doing the work mostly by myself (safety). Got it all dropped last night. Some of those bolts I don't think have been removed since the General built her 22 years ago! Broke a couple of sockets and such getting everything apart. Think it might have been easier to pull the dang motor!

Anyway, while the throw-out bearing was questionable, turns out that wasn't the big problem. This truck has the mechanical clutch (not hydraulic). There is a part that attaches to the rod coming from the pedal, rotates, and pushed on the clutch release fork. That rod pivots on two special bolts, one attachs to the bellhousing and the other to a bracket on the frame. The special bolt on the frame side had sheared, hence I couldn't disengage the clutch.

Looks like I am going junkin' soon. Or should I just convert to hydraulic while it is all apart? Hmmm... Something to think about.