Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dang motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Apr 25, 2005.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

:mad: Well, the pistons and sleeves are real scarred up. The cam bearings alook like they've been sandblasted. The main bearings look like pin striped suits and the crankshaft has more grooves than Rick James.

Looks like I'll be turning it into a 355. Lookig for pros and cons from those in the know. Don't tell me to build a 383. Just tell me about your experiences with 355 builds and results.

Thanks guys... :D

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

no problems i can think of....i went +.040" on mine for 357 cid and all is as well as can be expected after hitting the button on a 150hp shot of nitrous/fuel.......it still runs fine but i gotta start over and beef up the bottom end then swap out the composite head gaskets for some steel shims and use studs in the top and bottom, other than that life is good :crazy:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sleeves? That block has been sleeved? Or do you just mean the cylinder walls?

You can buy cylinder components in .010" increments if you wanted to "save" the block for more rebuilds, but from what I found when having mine built, I don't think machine shops feel confident enough in having .010" come out right. Personally I would have liked more cylinder wall than less, but hey, they'd only do .030", thats what I was stuck with.

Pretty happy with the way my build turned out. If I were to do it over again, I would have got a later 1 piece roller 350 block to work with. (this if you have ideas of a roller engine anyways) Stock roller cam saves you some money over aftermarket (I wanted a roller) and frees up some power. Plus one piece rear main motors are less leak prone. Looks like this is your '89, so that would be a no-brainer conversion while you had it apart IMO. Fairly cheap "hop up" when you'll need a new cam/lifters anyway.

Speedo-Pro Hypereutectic pistons I think $100, (9.2:1 compression with 64CC heads) free Eagle H or I beam rods (whichever are not more race oriented as you can tell I really didn't care as long as they were supposed to last in a high mileage engine) thanks to the engine shop losing my stock rods, can't recall crank bearing manufacturer, perhaps Clevite, one piece oil pan gasket from Fel-Pro, "stock" thickness Fel-Pro head gaskets, Complete stock (originally, pulled all the studs and went with ARP) Vortec heads, ARP head bolts, Cloyes "true" (what the heck does that mean, theres a fake one?) double row/roller timing chain, Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers, and Hedman Elite headers. Balanced. Pretty much all I can think of right now.

Look at heads and see if you can find any that work with your TBI intake, and compare price. Lots of good heads out there, the TBI truck heads suck for power, a true, complete rebuild of a set of heads around here is $300+, so some types/brands of aftermarket heads aren't too much of a stretch. It's been proven time and again that those TBI heads are easy to improve on, even a mild aftermarket head would net some impressive results. Vortecs are nice, but a lot of work on an injected motor, I say stay away from them.

I'm very pleased with how my motor runs. Once I get all the rest of the pieces back on the truck, I will start tuning the injection system to get things "perfect". Still runs great, and I've been told by others that have put together engines and vehicles themselves that the motor in this truck moves it very well. I'd like to dyno it to see what kind of numbers I make, but again, that's after I get the injection system tuned correctly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm happy with my engine. It's a 355 now. They bored the motor .030. I had it balanced. Personally I like to have the builder assemble the motor. That way if there's a problem it's on them.

I had mine done last year for about $1300. That included all the usual, pistons bearings, oil pump, timing chain, etc. I also went with an upgraded Comp Cam with lifters and valve springs and the price included Edelbrock intake.

I dropped the distributor off and they installed it and primed the oil system in the motor.

I was really impressed when I picked the motor up and it was freshly painted. They actually PRIMED and painted it.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

motor is in the link

http://members.cardomain.com/dirtwarrior17

other bells and whistles include clevite bearings, gm "X" connecting rods, melling(IIRC) High Volume oil pump, double roller timing chain, and a prominator is on the way.

it should put out 330-350 hp and 400 ft lbs but i won't know until i get her on the rollers. Right now even without tuning it runs real strong and the throttle response gets me ansty to just forget about tuning and drive it but it has yet to leave my driveway because of the excess fuel i found in the oil galley and oil from the bigger pump and 2 80 pph injectors....when i get the manifold back on tomorrow i plan to take her for a test run and see what kind of power it has under load. The speedpro pistons made it ALOT snappier than my stock motor and the 10:1 helps too.

Most companies make tbi manifolds to fit the older heads... i'm running a holley projection manifold and 670 tbi on a camel humper...

I paid $1535 with shipping for the longblock... came with everything listed except for the manifold and tbi but it had a edelbrock performer on it before i swapped it.

6. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Scott, your motor sounds almost exactly like what mine will be. The rest of you guys, thanks. I actually have 202 heads now, and bought the forged pistons with 10 to 1 compression. Should be a little more peppy, I hope. I want to keep using my stock TBI, because I'm not smart enough to keep messing with an aftermaket TBI set-up.

7. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ouch that had to hurt. 355 is a good motor.