Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dang, something in my rearend let go today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Never Satisfied, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Never Satisfied

Never Satisfied 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was on my way home from work this afternoon and something let go inside. I was able to limp it a few blocks to my friends garage. This is my daily driver and it's pretty much stock minus a ProComp 4" lift and a set of 33's. I intend to keep this thing as my driver although I do play in the mud and snow (when we have it) sometimes. I think it's best if I just go ahead and replace everything but the axles. It has an open rear carrier now and I would like to put some type of posi or cheap locker in it. I have looked around a little and have been unable to find a reasonable priced carrier. Where can I get a carrier to fit in my stock housing? If no one makes one, what are my alternatives? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brent

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Open carrier ? Use a lockright , provided nothing major let go in there now .

Get that thing opened up and take a pic , lets see what let go .

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

by the time you buy an open carrier and a lockright you have spent enough to justify a posi or full on locker. before you spend any money you need to open it up and see whats broke. could be something simple. or catastrophic.:rolleyes: but since you drove it after it broke it can't be all bad.

4. Never Satisfied

OK Paul, I will rip it apart tomorrow afternoon after I get off work. I assume the Lockright is fairly reliable? Pics to follow....

5. Never Satisfied

I'm actually leaning towards ring and or pinion gear failure. If I kept tension on it, it was quiet. As soon as I let off the gas, it started grinding and popping pretty bad. I figured the damage was done, so I might as well save ona tow bill if I could.

6. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

I have a 12 bolt out of a 77 with 4.10 gears and a limited slip in it, If your looking for a new rear, Where are you from Never satisfield.I am In in Detroit Michigan. Its for sale just let me know.

7. Never Satisfied

Lafayette Indiana.....email me the specifics on the 12-bolt. I might be interested. red306bullet@msn.com
    How difficult is that swap?

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

"Dang, something in my rearend let go today "

sounds like a case on the hershey squirts my friend :D :haha: :haha: :haha: hate when that happens.

sorry, could not resist with a thread title like that.

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I hate it when that happens, thinkin' it's just a big fart an' then:eek1::eek1:

10. Never Satisfied

That's not very helpful :(

....but it's funny :D

11. Never Satisfied

Here are a couple of pics......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup , whole new axle is easier then with that carnage . Your choice , depending on what you want to spend , how you wheel , etc .

You can go 10 bolt = DIRECT DROP IN
    You can go 12 bolt = Just a conversion u-joint
    You can go 14bsf six lug = just a conversion u-joint , spring plates , u-bolts .
    You can go 14bsf 8 lug = Conversion joint , 8 lug front parts , new wheels , u-bolts , springplates etc .
    You can go 14bff 8 lug = Conversion joint , 8 lug front parts , new wheels , u-bolts , springplates etc .

And of course your choice of locking mechanism or none at all .

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Whoa! GOV-BOMB strikes again!! I hate to say, it, but the ring, pinion and case are all junk.:o

Time to upgrade!:D :D

14. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

That usually happens to me around 10:30am. Usually, after I've made it downstairs to the toilet. :laugh: :haha: :D :haha:

Butt, (sic) to be helpful, (& not gross/funny/too divulging), Just swap the whole thing. That Gov-lock just blew-up in there didn't it? I'd say this is the time for a 3/4-1-ton upgrade, but that take a LOT more money than just swapping in another 10 or 12 bolt.

Good Luck,
    Buddy

15. Never Satisfied

I am going to meet Supreme70 in Coldwater tomorrow to pick up that 12-bolt. He has graciously offered to meet me 1/2 way :waytogo: . Can you please explain the u-joint conversion to me a bit more? Where or who sells these? I would like to get all of the parts together as soon as possible.

16. Never Satisfied

Yeah, if you look close....you can see that the carrier was hitting the pinion.

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Never and Y'all,

Check out the diff lube. It's foaming. Plus, it looks very weak, almost looks like it's mixed with water. Looks like a bad lube job! (behave yourselves :D) Also, what is the build history on this axle? The ring gear still has the marking paste for setting backlash in great quantities. That stuff usually disappears after mixing with oil. This leads me to believe that the gears were recently set up, and that possibly is was done incorrectly, thus creating a time bomb.
    Kinda like eating the wrong food on a date and getting the [​IMG] and [​IMG]with no toilet in sight!

What's the scoop?

Manny

18. Never Satisfied

19. Never Satisfied

Build history....well, I can only tell you that I've owned the thing for a little over 2 years now. In that time, I have put almost 20k miles on it. I have never done anything to either axle since I've owned it (minus a set of Warn lockouts). Heck, I thought the thing had an open rear with 3.73's! After doing the math, it only has 3.08's in it. Judging by that, someone before me has done a gear swap. This thing pulled darn good for 3.08's and 33x12.5's!

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Dont bother swapping in a 12 bolt... go for the gusto...14 bff or sf...

Your gov lock let go, its not an open carrier and happens quite often with them. Id be willing to bet you got on it pretty hard, slipped one tire, the locker caught and snapped...

they do break often but typicly not from just driving...