Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dang starter keeps doing this

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 76_Cheyenne, May 3, 2004.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I made a post before about my starter not engaging. Its a brand new starter since Jan. and I was told by GM that i needed a new one because it did the same thing. I turn the key and it just clicks. I've checked every connection i can find 5 times over, they are all good. I'll have to sit and turn the key like 50 times till it finally engages. Sometimes it starts first time sometimes i just leave it for a few hours after it wouldn't start, then the first time i try it, it turns over! Its embarrasing! Even took to to GM again and the couldn't get it to not start! just my luck! any idea why the starter binds up like this? Is it bad?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Check the shims- You gotta make sure the starter is engaging at the proper angle. Make sure the starter gear is making full contact.

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think it's in your ignition switch ?Not enough juice to pull the solenoid back . Next tim eit does it by bypass the switch and try jumping it from the starter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it's in your ignition switch ?Not enough juice to pull the solenoid back . Next tim eit does it by bypass the switch and try jumping it from the starter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And then after you do that, make it a push botton start

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree jump the starter. You can get a cheap starter jogger switch at most auto parts stores. Just connect the leads to the starter and run it up into the cab. Each time you want to start the truck, just move the ignition switch to run , and hit the button. It will tell you whether it is a starter issue or an ign switch / wiring issue...

6. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Ok, ill give that a try next time it does it. SO you guys are just saying hook up jumper cables directly to the starter from the battery?

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No what they are saying is run a wire off the battery to a toggle switch then run a wire off the toggle to the solenoid /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif