Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"DANGERS" OF THE HIGH LIFT JACK!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

last night I watched a 60 minutes type show about the high lift jack. It said that they have been responsible for literally hundreds of deaths and permanent maimings. It showed people who have died, as well as people fukt up for life. It looked pretty scary. At the end of the show it stated that there is a class action lawsuit with the makers wanting a multi-million dollar settlement. And as a result they will probably no longer be made in the near future. I have seen a friend of mine get knocked out by one from being stupid. Has anyone else seen these jacks hurt people. What is your take on the situation??

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

Re: \"DANGERS\" OF THE HIGH LIFT JACK!!

I have never personally seen anyone injured by a hi lift. The thing to remember is that you are lifting an object that weighs several tons. No matter what type of mechanism you are using to accomplish this, you need to be careful. I have seen winch cables snap and shatter windshields among other things. The key is to take the proper safety precautions, and don't expect a product to do more than it was intended to. Just my thoughts.
    eric

Hell, it don't really matter....it's just for my race car.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Haven't seen one hurt anybody yet, thank God, but I'll tell you they are one unstable jack especially if you dont have a flat ground to work with.

Ric

"Wheel hard or go home."
    See my K5 at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie1.jpg>http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie1.jpg</A>

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hurt Billy-Bob with one when he drank my last beer.....

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Yes. Lets put the fear of god in everybody because of some people who were being idiots while messing with a hi-lift got hurt. So, lets take a good tool off the market.
    Nothing can ever be idiot proof. I have heard a saying that I think is very true, "You can make something idiot proof, but then someone else will make a bigger idiot"
    Many people have used these jacks safely. It requires that you are not drunk, or monkeying around, and that you have the common sense God gave a jelly bean. If they take them off the market, that will be just flat rediculous!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was out 'wheelin with my brother, and one of his friends was going to lower down his jeep. Well he was sidetracked and not focused on what he was doing and he didn't have the handle in the "up" position before he flipped the switch. Luckily he moved his head outta the way fast enough but the handle hit his elbow breaking it and his upper arm bone in several places. He still can't use that arm very good and that was 5-6 years ago. I think as long as you follow the instuctions and use the jack as it is intended, you wont get hurt.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, you have to take precautions with everything. The first time you see one slip sideways, or the truck roll forward and the jack pop out, it makes ya think. I have welded to the bottom of my rear bumper 3 small pieces of round stock metal on each side. 2 running fore and aft, wide enough for the lip of the jack to fit between, and one lengthwise that the grooves in the lift portion of the jack can grip onto. It cant pop out backwards, and cant slip sideways. Of course there are extreme situations where it doesnt matter, but there are steps to take... block the opposite tires so the truck cant roll when the jack is raised up high enough to allow the driveline to rotate, stand to the side when possible, dont get under the truck on the jack (when possible), pay attention to what youre doing all the time... its just common sense. Im sure we could all name someone who, if we gave him a staple gun, and he is bored enough for a long enough time, he will end up with a staple thru his d*ck somehow, [​IMG]
    Dont ask how... but dont take it off the market for everyone else!

LOL

Chow
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

8. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Ive had to use mine several times, only once or twice the handle came up rather quick with a really heavy load on it.
    But its well worth it when your ass deep in mud!

"Jeep Thing,? Ya i ran over one!"

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Yeah! They should take those dern dangerous thangs off the market! I dropped mine on my bare foot the udder day when I wuz wheelin' throo a guys field! Den I got bored yestiday and wuz swangin' it in a circkle and kilt MAW!!! Had ta bury her ass in a korn-feelt!! Dem suckers is a Hazzard!

"The mud is lovely, dark and deep, but I have U-joints to change before I sleep"

10. denver75k5

Ya..What he said :-)

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I bet over 90% of the people hurt and killed didn't even read the instruction booklet. They are given to the buyer of the jack for a reason.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Many years ago, it was proved "dummies," couldn't drive CJ5's, so they took them off the market. Now they are going to prove they can't use hi-lift jacks. What next?

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

13. cederic

cederic Registered Member

My little bro got popped in the chin by one. Darn near lifted him off his feet.
    Worst thing to do to them is spray them with WD-40 or equiv.

[image]http://www.animationcity.net/gifz/hand.gif[/image]

What do you call a fly after you pull off it's wings ?
    A WALK...ahhehe

14. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

We need to get them thangs down by da river outlawed too!! They's rount ant hard! I thank dey's calt rocks? Dem tang'sll HURTCHA!! Specially if ya pick ones up ant hitcha self inda haid! Whert my lawyer gittoo?

"The mud is lovely, dark and deep, but I have U-joints to change before I sleep"

15. denver75k5

Good stuff EDa

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I saw a volunteer that I worked with take off his index finger with one - got it tied up between the post and the mechanism. The only other time I've ever actually seen an injury related to a Hi-Lift, we were using it as a come-along and the top eye failed, causing the chain to whip and really slap the Captain's shins.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

17. FWP

FWP CRS

Natural selection, I say [​IMG]........

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</A>

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All tools are dangerous when used incorrectly. When used correctly, a high lift is a great tool. If used incorrectly, like any other tool, it can be dangerous.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

19. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Those deaths are probably related to the immitation Hi-Lifts, not the real ones. Just my two cents.

20. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Most people get hurt by not knowing how something works and not paying attention. One thing i did when i first got my jack was to play around in the driveway with it. I jacked my truck up in several different places and experimented with the different ways to place it and how to keep my truck from slipping off. Just know what you are dealing with and know there are always risks.

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]