Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Darn bolt need help/ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Jun 6, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

OKay got up to do the lift install, everything going smooth get the front done, move to the rear and im stuck. Everything came off the rear passenger side except the front eyebolt of the spring. I broke a decent size craftsmen wrench and two sockets. I heated itwith propane torch and lots of pb stuff. besides the bolt being in a tuff place i can not get it to move. I had a 2.5 foot breaker bar with my hi lift handle on it no go. What else can i try before i take it someware to have it cut? i spent most all day on this one bolt, need ideas before morning. also the front shocks top mounts i cant get out, and the steering arm is a pita to get off.

2. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I've taken off plenty of bolts, nuts, rivets, etc. with a good old angle grinder. It's not terribly quick but it'll do the job. You can get a fairly good one for about $40-50 too. They're pretty useful to have around.

3. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

One thing you might try if you have access to an air compressor and an air hammer, is use a flat headed tool in the air hammer on the head of the spring bolt. This has worked for me at my shop. The vibration from the impact will sometimes allow the two parts to seperate from each other. It's worth a try before you have to go postal on it.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

mine took about 2 hours of hammering to get out appiece.punch and BFH was what i used along with soaking it for four days with penitrating oil.every time i got a chance id spray it some more till i was ready to take it out and put in the new springs

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A Acetylene Torch will burn Hotter than Propane. If You can Borrow one from a Freind or Whoever, this will Burn the Rust Loose.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have been fighting the same thing all week. I made a press out of a C clamp, a piece of pipe, and a couple of pieces of flat bar. The press is similar to, and could be used as, a u joint press. I had three of the bolts seized on me, and w/ a lot of persistance, heavy amounts of WD-40, and an impact wrench, they finally cooperated. Just keep after them. If you need more details, let me know.

John

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Is the nut stuck on the bolt or is the bolt stuck in the bushing?

John

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

lets just say both, as in niether will budge. I think i will just take it to a weld shop and have em cut em with whatever they use. Good news is i got the stearing arm off about 2 hours with a sledge and two beers at 10 am and it was done. I got a saws all and will be taking it to the body tomorrow if i can get to the weld shop today.

9. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

good idea, ill go postal on it =)

10. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

made quick work of mine with a grinder and a big 6 to 7 inch thin cutoff blade. it fit nicely in between the hanger and the spring. it took the bolt out in less than 30 seconds, but be careful its quite dangerous.