Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Darn Electrical leak.... help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, May 1, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, about 4 months ago, I started getting dead batteries after a week of not driving... It's fine after 2 days or so, but... I dont know where there is current still being drawn! I thought it was the amp, so I disconnected that. Nothing is plugged ino the cigarette lighter. All the lights are off.

My finger is pointing at the stereo....

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Doesn't matter if nothing is plugged into the cigarette lighter....is there a wire connected to the cigarette lighter still?! It tends to short out there....

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the positive lead, connect a light bulb to the battery and the positive lead. Does it light?

If it lights, you have a leak. Start pulling fuses until it goes out. If all fuses are pulled and it is still lit, then you got problems!

4. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

What TopOff said is good advice, but I have always been told to disconnect the negative battery cable and run the test light from the negative post to the cable. I think this is a little safer than working with the positive lead. Anyway, pull the fuses one by one and when the light goes out, you've found the short, UNLESS....

The short is in the alternator itself. Old or worn alternators can start to ground internally, causing the scenario that you describe.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thanks guy. Will try that out. Acutally, thats a brand new alternator in there, the problem was acutally happening before the replacement....

Acutally, the battery didnt die all the way when I last checked. I gotta check if the complete drain down wore out the battery, because last time I checked the trickle charger had diffulculties reaching the "fully charged" indicator.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have also seen where a seat belt buzzer had shorted out and drained the battery even though the buzzer may not be buzzing.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

An electrical 'leak'.

Sorry, had to smile at that one. I think I will call them leaks from now on.

I like that.

Ken H.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

leak, its a technical term. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Technically, it is one electrons flowing out somewhere. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine had an Electrical "Leak" in his K 2500. Like yours it took a few days to drain his battery. Drove him nuts trying to find it. It turned out to be his glove box light switch was stuck on all the time. The switch worked if you pushed it in with your finger but the glove box wouldn't activate it all the way. You couldn't see it unless you looked under his dash at night and "Saw the light'

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I was gonna suggest the same thing Thunder. I had a customer that dead centered a telephone pole w/ a Jeep Cherokee, he wasnt wearing a belt and tore that dash up pretty bad. I replaced most of the lower section of the dash pieces, as well as the whole front end, and a good amount of the structure, but never thot to check the switch. I was tracing wires ALL over the front end thinking it was something up there from the wreck. We looked for days to find that!

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Simple enough to look underneath and see where the puddle of electrons is located. Heehee!

12. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You are such a dork /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif! Haha, j/k. Thats pretty funny, I like it.