Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Darn O2 Sensor! Stuck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, today, I started up the truck to move it into place to change my diff fluid. Not 3 minutes later, I get a check engine light. I pull the code, got a 23 and 44. O2 and EGR.

No biggie I say to myself. I got an sensor lying around, I cleaned out the EGR, cleaned out the buildup from the TPI area with some carb cleaner, redid my K&N filter, then I tried...

tried...

to remove the 02 sensor. Funny how 3 years has a way of destroying the ability to remove it. Started using extra torque (my foot). It started tearing out the weld nut.

Darn rust. I think Im just gonna sawzall the dang nut off, and just jb weld on a new nut, and then thread in the new 02. Wacha all think?

BTW, my mechanic must have a funny sense of humor, why is my diff fluid... blue?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Now that the nut has started to rip off the exhaust your pretty much screwed, might as well cut it off and get a new one. Have someone you know with a welder weld it in for you, or go to a welding shop and throw the guy $10. Will be much easier than spending all the time cleaning and prepping the pipe hoping the JB weld will stick. Remember when you put the new sensor in to put some anit-seize on the threads. Good Luck

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

we have to heat them to a pumpkin orange with a torch on a daily basis here in new england--and sometimes they still dont want to come out without stripping the threads! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifIf you heat it,be careful , the porcelain can shatter quite violently when heated--wear goggles! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly the reason why I've never even thought about trying to remove the O2 sensor from my '87 C30. I know that damn thing is so rusted in there it'll never come out without heat.

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

excatly the reason i dont have one!!! Well, theres alot of reasons actually.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif