Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

[darn]...scratched my rental!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Dec 29, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey I scratched my rental truck. I was taking my roll cage material that was strapped to the roof rack off with a friend and one of the boards that was spacing it up flipped up and came down on the quarter panel, leaving a 1/4" x 1" scratch down to bare metal. Maybe more of a chip. Kinda pisses me off but I've gotta get this thing back in a couple hours. The truck is jet black. Any ideas on how to cover this chit up? I didn't get the optional insurance of course.

I've heard a black crayon...

nail polish?

What?

Help!!!!

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Black marker maybe?

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Go to the autoparts store and get some touchup paint for it.

Do the best you can and hope for the best??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, I vote for the touch up paint at Auto Zone(or somewhere similar).....
    Did you do a walk around with the rental agent before you took it? Maybe you could say it was already there?

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

All the experience i've had with touchup paint is that it looks good at a distance but is obvious close up. What if I touch it up and they notice? Then will they be totally inflexible on working with me? I'm leaning toward the honesty approach at this moment... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes i did the walk around. there were a couple scratches that he said not to worry about...but this one is a bit bigger... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its a tough call.

Depends on how busy they are, and how picky the agent wants to be. IF busy and wanting to go home, maybe you'll make it. But its a tough call.

John

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've done touch up many a times for my buddies before a car show- most were on the bumper or the hood, but they are the same principle- two factors make up the noticable difference- texture and color.

If its black, the color part is gonna be the easiest- The texture is gonna be your enemy. If the paint was clear coated, it helps a lot. If it wasnt, your gonna be in a bit more hassle. (most newer trucks have clear coat, so.. )

Anyways, Use masking tape, tape up the area along side the scratch. Leave around 2cm on each side of the scratch.

Gently use 600 grit sand paper and try to smooth out the edges of the scratch. (dont forget to wet the sand paper). Dont worry too much about hazing on the exposed 2cm area. This will get polished out.

After fully drying that area (even using a little brake cleaner on a rag to remove all particles), use the touch up paint stick, and try to fill in the gauged area. Do it in small layers, and wait for each layer to dry. You can speed it up with a heat lamp if you have one.
    The final layer should be slightly humped as compared to the original paint. After letting this final coat dry, use a wet 800-1000 grit to gently (no pressure from the hand) smooth it all out so that the filled in layer is the same height as the old layer. When its about passible for height, step up to 1500, and then 2000. The paitn should be ultra smooth at this point.

Remove the masked up area. Use the clear coat spray, practice a few times on cardboard to minimize overspray and what not. Try to get a nice even coat
    A light application should do it.

Once that layer is dry, you can give it a once over, and see how it is. Careful about overspray of the clearcoat-, thats the hardest part.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you get the touch up paint get the spray can not the little nail polish type container. those always look like crap. if it was me i would get a spray can of touch up wet sand the scratch to smooth it out and mask off surrounding area and then use the spray to touch it up and then wet sand that till it looked good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Jeez...that sounds like a lot of work.

Especially since i have little patience, little time, and no skillz....

How much are they gonna ding me for this [darn]? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Just throw some mud over the scratch and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Just throw some mud over the scratch and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... sounds like you need to get the truck all muddy before you take it back! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

or, clean the area off quickly with a rag and some brake cleaner, then just hit it real fast with some black spray paint, then a layer of clear coat.

then claim you didnt see that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Play dumb, Denie you know anything about it. It's a rental, they expect sh_t like that. Just keep your mouth shut about it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Brush touch-it like Mike said...
    then find a way to get it dirty...so they can't see anything.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

actually thats a good idea..if ur allowed to return the car sorta dirty from "road sh!t"..run through a mud puddle or something to get "the look" then put some mud or dirt over the scratch..

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is ther esnow on the ground? is it snowing? get the thing covered with sale spray. Is it raining there yet? take it back in the pouring rain. Agent isn't goijng to want to deal with the weather.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm leaning toward the honesty approach at this moment...

[/ QUOTE ]

Honesty is the best policy.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

So what happened?

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i took it to them and they didn't say chit. I got LUCKY!!! I feel like celebrating now.