Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DARN SM465/205 ADAPTER!!! ARGH!!!! (and a poll)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Dec 6, 2005.

?

Have you broken your SM465 adapter?

1. Yes, broke the mounting ears off...

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Yes, broke the t-case off! O-F-F... OFF!!!

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. No, mine has held up fine...

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. I don't have an SM465 but I am naked and wanted to reply to ANOTHER poll on CK5.

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I guess when I made my driveshaft it was just a little bit too long in the front... I thought I just shattered the u-joint when I was backing up out of a swamp and I finally was going to fix it today. Unfortunately now I have to replace the adapter as I seem to have broken the mounting tab off the passanger side. I understand this is a weak point and many of them seem to fail in this area. Just how many of you have broken one of these adapters? I only have the one spare adapter that I'm going to be installing or partially installing today, after that, it's junk yard time again... :mad:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I broke an ear off mine in my Suburban. Drove around for half a year without even noticing it until I started mashing fuel lines under my fuel pump against the engine crossmember. I looked and noticed my motor mounts were shot and the motor was torqued over. Figured I just had bad motor mounts (but thought it was odd cause I replaced them when I put the 454 in). I went underneath a month after that to do something and noticed a 1" gap between one ear of my adapter and the rest of it. Then I understood why my motor mounts gave out.

3. TruckNutzDude

I did notice when I drove out of the woods in RWD only that the shifter was rocking all over the place. :crazy: I sort of knew something was wrong at that point but was more concerned with getting home than anything else. I'm just glad it wasn't worse or broken in another spot.

Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Mine cracked really bad (in all the way through in 3 places) and just leaked like crazy. There are places that make aftermarket 465 to 205 adapters (I don't remember which). Clean the new part up really well before you install it and look for cracks (you can't weld them because the oil and grease has long since penetrated into the crack). Try and get one with the least cracks.

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Some came with factory side mounts... that bolted the pass side of the T-case to the frame. That helps keep things from torquing over and breaking.

6. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

I have 3 adapters that are broken, what I ended up doing to fix the problem was taking the adaptor off and milling the back of the bolt holes flat and then making a 8"wide 7"tall 5" base (L) shaped steel plate with the center milled out out so that I could bolt it to the back ot the trany on the backside of the mount and under the feet of the mount. One of my ears was completely broken off almost to the center of the adapter and this has worked every since them. aslo made a couple for friends and they have not had any problems. I hope this makes sense and helps.

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I didn't see where the vote for me was....I split my bellhousing completely in half.

8. TruckNutzDude

How'd you pull that one off??? :eek1:

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

He went highway wheeling and flopped his rig off a freightliner.

Sorry man, just had to. Hope the new build is going pretty smooth.

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Roll-over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine was broken, caused eng mount problems. So now im in the process of fixing everything.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

once again a post with inadequate options for me.... :haha:

umm, my SM465 has a 203 behind it.. thats kinda a burly part the adaptor...
    Grant

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I find it strange that so many trucks did not come with the frame bracket for the NP205, which I am assuming is why your adaptors are breaking. :confused:

My GMC, which had a 465/221 stock, has the frame bracket, and its identical to the one used with the 205. No problems, besides the Rockwell being a gigantic POS.

14. TruckNutzDude

I had a '73 with a 465/205 and that had the bracket attatched to the frame. This t-case came from a '79 and there is no provision for the bracket in the t-case. Seems like they did away with it. :confused:

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i bet more came with them than you think... but over the years they ahve gotten lost....

Grant

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Mine went out with a bang, and the tranny slid over far enough for my clutch linkage to separate, and made for a nice uncontrolled decent down the hill climb I was on. :eek1: Good thing I'll be going doubler soon and won't need one of those adapters.:D

[​IMG]

17. TruckNutzDude

that's exactly where mine broke... weird

18. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Anyone have a picture of this frame bracket? I don't think I have ever seen one and mine did not ever have one (My dad was the original owner).

19. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

the 305/203combo i pulled from the truck had the brace from the block to the pside of the case.

the 465/205 combo doesn't have the bolt holes where the 203 does...but it kinda looks like it has a pad or surface that could have these same holes drilled and tapped. kinda hard for me to tell the angles while the thing sits in my garage. anyone know anything about that?

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe NWF will make you a billet one... I know they make th400-203 adapters from billet AL. Might be worth an PM/email/call....

j