Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

darn tail pipes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jun 29, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Well the state of maine is cracking down hard on exhaust systems and tires. So I need to install my tail pipes when I put my engine in this weeked or sometime real soon. So I was wondering if there was some way to hook my two stock tail pipes to my single 2 1/2" 40 series muffler? Or should I just say heck with it and run the truck to the exhaust place and have a tail pipe made.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can install a Y-pipe if you want, but personally I'd go buy a second muffler, and take it to the exhaust shop. If they don't have a lot of work to do (quick bend around the t-case, then out the back on each side) it shouldn't cost much.

On my 2wd I was able to make my own exhaust setup with some axle and manifold bends, but I am not even gonna try on the 4x4, lol

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

get an older tailpipe..

You can get a tailpipe for an older suburban for a single outlet muffler--many owners balked at spending a lot of cash on the Ghey dual tailpipe muffler and tailpipes they had factory in the later 80's models--I used to look up a system for an older suburban like a 79 or older and sell them the muffler and tailpipe for those years instead...(just had to be sure the inlet is the same size..)...the trucks did not change much from 73-87,so the pipes should fit no problem--you may need the older style hangers to go with it--or use universal ones.. :crazy: