Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Darn u-joint keeps getting thrown- 3 times in 2 days

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 10, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, this weekend I took the big ole heavy Truck Blazer to the mud races just to be loud and throw some mud.

Yesterday on my 2nd run, the front u-joint came loose... bent the u-bolt straps and the u-joint flew out of the yoke. I fixed it with my spare driveline, and made my last 2 runs just fine.

Today I went to another one. Mud was thicker and deeper. Not even 20 feet in... same thing happened. One strap bent out and the u-joint flew out of the yoke. Ok, so I didn't think it would happen again.

Luckily, someone gave me a used u-joint and I put that in the other driveline end I swapped out yesterday and slid that into place. Got about 40 feet in churning up some thick mud, all 4 spinning good, then up go the RPMs and I loose front wheel again.

That makes 3 times in 2 days the same u-joint keeps flying out. Maybe something internal in the front end is catching and forcing a strap to bend and disintegrate the caps? Maybe the yoke got worn or screwed up from the first time it came apart? What do you think?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Just my oppinion but it sounds like the front axle is possibly rotating down when you get in it real hard causing the ujoint to bind and break. How bad is your front pinion angle, have you clearanced the yoke, do you have tapered shims in the spring pack to help the pinion angle (if it is a problem), What kind of shap are the shackle bushings and spring bushings in, etc. What is you front end setup as far as lift, shims factory or aftermarket shaft?

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

word!

id make sure your front yoke is still in good shape as well. with as many ujoints as you lose, i wouldn't be surprised if it is deformed somehow.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

x2 bet your yoke is fubar

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

check to make sure the shaft is in phase, meaning the ujoints are in line and not at random possitions working against eachother. i threw my rear shaft 2 or 3 times in 2 days because of this...Eventually killed the shaft.

6. mountainexplorer

It's an 8" spring lift. But it's also the same setup and driveline angle I've ran for 3+ years, and never had this problem. I'm thinking that the 1st time my u-joint just dried out and went bad and caused failure, and somehow messed up the yoke a little... enough that it lasted my last two runs un shallower stuff Saturday.

Then Sunday as I hit the deep stuff right of the start it threw the 2nd one... screwing up the yoke more, so that the 3rd time it didn't last long at all.

My springs bushings are "ok". I made sure that when I replaced the slip end of the driveline that the u-jounts were in line with each other each time. It's just weird to have it do it 3 times in 2 days where as one u-joint lasted over 3 years and all kinds of mud.

This is also the 1st year I ran 39.5" Boggers up front too. Before it was usually 40" Ground Hawg look-a-likes that wouldn't bite as hard, and 39.5 Boggers are quite a bit of stress for a 1310 u-joint. I think I'll upgrade the yoke... actually I think I'll yank the whole front end. Gotta pull it out to fix my 2 front stud holes in the housing anyway.

7. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

Axle wrap and pinion angle is more than likely where you problems lie.

8. mountainexplorer

Actually, after I looked under the mud, my pass side degree shim is half broke and sitting sideways. I think theres the start of it all. Plus my yoke is now totally screwed. Springs bushings are ok, but the upper shackle bushings that sit in the frame are worn out.

I guess this means I can't drive it till I fix it meaning the motor in it may actually last up to a year or more in it!

9. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

see what you need is a pressure washer... see all those problems hiding under that 3 year old mud you have on everything :D

10. mountainexplorer

I started this year with a clean slate. Only layers from this year are Moyie, Ione, Sprague, and now Big Al's.

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

you should just have wash days, all at once, I could bring my pressure washer.