Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

[darn] wind!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Jun 9, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

The damn wind around here has been blowing like crazy for the past couple of days and I should have known better, but I forgot to put my patio umbrella down over the weekend and tonite I came home from work to find that the umbrella was dislodged with such force that the glass from the patio table shattered into a kajillion bits /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone know where I can find replacement glass for my patio table? I hate to think that I have to buy another table just because the glass busted /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I bought this set at Wally World last year and paid nearly $400 for it and I really like the set. Would a glass shop be able to cut me a piece? or is it special because it's tempered glass?

Any help would be most appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Arrrrrrrr matey...

Now you know what it feels like to live in Cheyenne, Wyoming /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Yeah, go to a glass shop... Prolly a glass shop for buildings and houses, not cars...maybe make like a cardboard template of the table or take the table with you to make everyone's life easier... unless you can measure the circumference of the table /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Glass shop should be able to get you what you need. Just make sure its tempered so if it does break again /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif it will shatter into little pieces that dont cut you like plate glass.

John

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that's exactly what happened to mine 2 years ago. But it was right beside the pool, and luckily none flew that far. My dad just replaced ours with wood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif about the wind. I live up on a hill, so I get it real bad. Alot more wind out here then in town where I used to live. Don't know what too tell you about the glass. If plexi glass didn't scratch so easily .....

6. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    . . . My dad just replaced ours with wood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like it might be the way to go. I called a glass shop... $250 for a 4x4 piece of tempered glass /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Now, I did forget to mention that little fact.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I figured it would be $$$.

As for a wooden replacement: redwood, teak, mahogany are great outdoor choices.

John

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

same thing happened to ours. mom replaced it with some very, very, very, very heavily varnished plywood. it didnt look half bad, but then again, now we have a table thats made of solid wood and looks way better. not to mention its much heavier.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    mom replaced it with some very, very, very, very heavily varnished plywood. it didnt look half bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe y'all were too high to notice it was plywood and that's why it looked half good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

DrUgZ r BaDd!?!?!?!?!!??

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    mom replaced it with some very, very, very, very heavily varnished plywood. it didnt look half bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe y'all were too high to notice it was plywood and that's why it looked half good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

DrUgZ r BaDd!?!?!?!?!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

no, that would be the plastic model i built in a closed car.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

it was really high end 3/4" plywood. not exactly beautiful by any means, but it was flat and was effective at supporting plates and cups, so we used it for a while.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DrUgZ r BaDd!?!?!?!?!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

no, that would be the plastic model i built in a closed car.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

it was really high end 3/4" plywood. not exactly beautiful by any means, but it was flat and was effective at supporting plates and cups, so we used it for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

12. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I also made one from wood one I saw the glass prices. Originally the table was round but I made it easier by making it square. There is a pick of it under misc in the link to webshots.

13. shewheeler

I don't see a "misc" link /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Only Blazer pics and stuff for sale /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

I would look at replacing it with clear plastic form a local plastic store like Tap Plastics. Like glass it may be pretty expensive so wood would be good alternative.

15. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

sorry, Looks like I was over the limit,, I deleted some stuff so it should be there now.. The marks on the table are from the rain the night before.
    Brett

16. shewheeler

I like it! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i'd go back to wal mart and make a fuss about the table being badly made and try to get a new one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yea, you should try living in the desert at the base of a mountain range. Wind blows almost every afternoon between 20-30mph. On a "windy" day, we can get winds between 50-70 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

We've learned to secure and tie things we dont want to fly away /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

As we say, Come enjoy the Antelope Valley Wind Festival
    Runs Jan 1st thru Dec 31st /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif